How much milage out of an IMS 3.2 tank

I know there are threads on tanks before but I need to know the specifics.

How many miles are you guys getting out of the ims 3.2 tank before the your bike shuts off and you have to switch to reserve.

right now mines is stock, and I am getting roughly 80 miles until the bike shuts off and I would have to switch to reserve.

I would really like to get 120 miles before I am forced to switch to reserve. It makes me nervous when I am close to 70 or 80 miles on a tank, because I may be fully committed into a turn, and the thought of the bike shutting off can be hazardous.

I wish the clark 3.6 would fit the sm.. I hate the looks of the 3.9 volcano.

Nobody can give you that answer as everyone gets different mileage.

BUT, with the information you have above you can work it out:

Stock tank is 2.6 gal - 20% reserve is about 2.1 gal

I'm going to assume the clarke tank also has about 0.5 gal reserve, else someone can fix this figure.

So:

3.1/2.1 = around 1.48 so you can increase your range by 48% more or less

so you do 80 miles + 48% = 118 miles...roughly...

80 miles on the stock tank isn't uncommon. I get the same.

I just mounted an IMS 3.2 not long ago and haven't been through a full tank yet, but I'm at 100 miles now and still seem to have quite a bit of fuel in the tank.

Yeah.. I saw your tank it looks great.

So you hit a 100 miles and not have to switch to reserve yet?

I can get more than 80 mpg on a stock tank, but that would not be so fun. I dont commute and ride with friends with ss bikes. I always get low on gas and worry before a designated gas stop.

I have to ease off the throttle worrying I may run out of gas.

if I can get about 110 to 115 riding hard.. Id be happy.

Tomorrow I'll be putting another 20 miles on the bike which should take me to about 120 miles. I'll let you know if I do need to switch to reserve.

kool thanks..

make sure you ride it hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I average 48 mpg in the 11,000+ miles I have had the bike. Thats a mix of commuting and D/S riding. Slightly better milage after rejetting and the 3X3. Every bike is different but I hit reserve around 1.7 gallons used which leaves me with over half a gallon in the tank. I'd love the IMS 3.2 gallon tank for the rides back over the ridge.. I've always just carried two (backpacking style) fuel bottles as my backup reserve..

Nice ride!

I have the 3.2 gallon tank, I usually run 150 miles between gas. I've managed to squeeze 180 miles. The lowest is around 130 if I"m riding mostly dirt.

On my tank, there is no reserve.. just the gas that gets trapped in the right side. Which gets you about 3 miles if you're lucky after you tip the bike on its side. Also, the PO installed the tank, and the tube to the petcock sticks up about an inch, so there is some unusable fuel in the bottom.

Hope this helps

EDIT-i'm not sure if i'm running the same tank as everybody else, but I know it's a 3.2. I can take pictures if people want to see what it is.