Sign in to follow this  

GM Pickup Question

Okay so I take my time and am slowly gathering information on pickups and trying to decide what I need and what I want vs. what is feasible and affordable. I have decided that I want a full size crew cab pickup. (I think:bonk:) Next year I will be working for my dad and a full size pickup will be necessary. So I would love a diesel but cant afford nor do I need one. I can get a lot cleaner gas pickup, i.e. more pickup for cheaper.

So here is the question I have been looking at 01 and newer full size GM pickups. I want some opinions/information about the 6.0L and the 8.1L. I am looking for something reliable and will last a long time without many problems.

I was looking solely for 6.0L pickups due to price but have recently seen some 8.1L's for the same prices if not cheaper. Is it worth it? The extra power? or is the engine less reliable? I heard somewhere that the 8.1's are notorious for burning oil, is this true?

Any insight is much appreciated!:thumbsup:

Thanks Again,

-mt-

both are great but the 6.0 can move just as much as the 8.1. once you get up there it may not move it as fast but it will move it.. the biggest factor is gas mileage... the 8.1 is big. it will want a lot of fuel to feed it

truthfully what you save buying a gasser over a diesel, you'll pay in fuel in a year. Typical 6L gasser 12mpg city 16 hwy. My Duramax gets 19 city/23 hwy. 19mpg with a heavy duty 16 ft enclosed trailer (4500lbs axles) loaded down with 4 bikes, big tool box, gear, small welder, air compressor, etc etc for a typical race weekend.

Oh and with my tuner on 5, easily dust off the Stangs and ricers. Even ate 2 LS1's and an SRT8 Charger.

Also, once you own a diesel, You'll never go back.

So here is the question I have been looking at 01 and newer full size GM pickups. I want some opinions/information about the 6.0L and the 8.1L. I am looking for something reliable and will last a long time without many problems.

QUOTE]

I'd go for the 6.0, it's a very reliable engine, and it's a LOT easier on gas than the 8.1. The 8.1 is better for towing heavy loads, but unless your towing a lot i'd avoid the 8.1 One advantage of the 8.1 is that it comes with the Allison transmission stock I believe. I recently drove a 6.0 with 180'000 miles, and it still drove well.

This is the kinda info that I am looking for.

I agree with you guys my gut instinct is to go with the 6.0L, I just need some reassurance and some honest opinions.

But since it was brought up are the 01-04ish duramax's worth looking at? The increase in purchase price plus the increase in maintenance costs has kind of steered me away for now. Eventually I would like to get a diesel pickup, I just dont know if know is the time, it may be I dont know I guess I need to price some of thoose out too.

I want to keep my options open so please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks Again,

-mt-

I had a 6.0 2500HD and currently have a Duramax 2500HD and my buddy has the 8.1. Here's the million dollar question that nobody has asked......Do you tow anything? That changes the answer.

I had a 6.0 2500HD and currently have a Duramax 2500HD and my buddy has the 8.1. Here's the million dollar question that nobody has asked......Do you tow anything? That changes the answer.

Yes I do tow. That is part of the reason for the pickup. A 16' enclosed trailer, a 21.5' wakeboard boat for the most part, maybe to occasional car trailer. Most of what I tow can be towed with a half ton, if I need to tow more weight I can borrow my dads 3/4 ton pickup, but I dont want to be totally reliant on him when I need to tow something.

Gas mileage is not a big deal to me either, I have a corolla that gets 32mpg if gas prices get that high.

Another thing, I have been looking more for pickups and have found some 04 and newer crew cab 4x4 pickups with the 5.3L for good prices. I know that it will tow what I need, my question is would you prefer a 6.0L pickup over a 5.3L pickup?

-mt-

truthfully what you save buying a gasser over a diesel, you'll pay in fuel in a year. Typical 6L gasser 12mpg city 16 hwy. My Duramax gets 19 city/23 hwy. 19mpg with a heavy duty 16 ft enclosed trailer (4500lbs axles) loaded down with 4 bikes, big tool box, gear, small welder, air compressor, etc etc for a typical race weekend..

If you take the premium price that Duromax around here go for, and the lower prices a similar 6.0/8.1 will go for, it will take a lot longer than a year to pay back the difference.

I looked at 7.3l PSD's versus Ford V10's, V10's are so cheap compared to the 7.3's that depending on the price of diesel, and the initial cost of the used truck, that it would take 60-90k miles before the diesel was more cost effective than a V10. So I bought a diesel.

Also, once you own a diesel, You'll never go back.

+1:thumbsup:

QUOTE]

I'd go for the 6.0, it's a very reliable engine, and it's a LOT easier on gas than the 8.1. The 8.1 is better for towing heavy loads, but unless your towing a lot i'd avoid the 8.1 One advantage of the 8.1 is that it comes with the Allison transmission stock I believe. I recently drove a 6.0 with 180'000 miles, and it still drove well.

I just learned that the 8.1 comes with the Alli tranny in another thread...IF you need big power (from a gasser) then go with the 8.1. If reasonable power is sufficient then the 6.0 is a good choice, that's what I have and does fine. In regards to gas vs diesel...you'll pay an extra 2-4k for the diesel depending on the condition/age of the truck. I'd love to have the Dura/Alli combo I just couldn't justify the extra cost...pay off of the added expense wasn't going to be real soon therefore I went with the 6.0.

2001-2004 duramax's had bad injectors that go out frequently, 2005-now have 0 problems

8.1's dont get any worse fuel mileage than the 6.0's.. They werent as popular because people saw the 8.1L and automatically thought "Gas Hog".. Which wasnt the case.. Most 6.0's get in the 12-14 MPG range depending on conditions, 8.1's get the sameand have more power, plus you get the Allison, much better trans than the 4L80.. A few 8.1's did have an oil consumption problem that was remedied by different intake bolts and torque specs.. I fixed a few of them, there was a bulletin on it.. i would personally go with the 8.1 if those were the only choices, but I wouldnt give up my Dmax for either of them!!

8.1's dont get any worse fuel mileage than the 6.0's.. They werent as popular because people saw the 8.1L and automatically thought "Gas Hog".. Which wasnt the case.. Most 6.0's get in the 12-14 MPG range depending on conditions, 8.1's get the sameand have more power, plus you get the Allison, much better trans than the 4L80.. A few 8.1's did have an oil consumption problem that was remedied by different intake bolts and torque specs.. I fixed a few of them, there was a bulletin on it.. i would personally go with the 8.1 if those were the only choices, but I wouldnt give up my Dmax for either of them!!

You may be correct however hard to believe...it's like comparing a 350 with a 454...one would asume the 350 would get better mpg. NOW, if what you say is the case then why offer both motors? 8.1 better power performance with equal mpg...had I known this I would have gone with the 8.1...not an easy pill to swallow.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

From everything that has been said here as well as some other research that I have done, I have decided that I will look for the cleanest low mileage crew cab pickup and pull the trigger. All of the engines (5.3, 6.0, 8.1) seem to be good with few problems. If I can find an 05 or newer D-Max for the same price as the gassers that I am looking at I will consider it.

I really would love to have a diesel but dont really need one. For my needs and budget a gasser will do just fine, then in 5 or so years I can look for a diesel! :thumbsup:

-mt-

You may be correct however hard to believe...it's like comparing a 350 with a 454...one would asume the 350 would get better mpg. NOW, if what you say is the case then why offer both motors? 8.1 better power performance with equal mpg...had I known this I would have gone with the 8.1...not an easy pill to swallow.

Its not all about the engine.. The only trans you could get with the 8.1L (496 cid) was the allision which is obviously a 5 speed (til 06, now its a 6 spd), compared to the 4L80E (4spd) behind the 6.0L (366 cid).. With the different power characteristics of these engines and the extra gear with the 8.1L it added up to about the same mileage.. The 8.1 with the allison was a bit more money up front,(thats why the offered both) and again people saw the 8.1L and thought horrible mileage so they didnt sell as well as the 6.0's. Rear axle ratio's also play a huge part on the mileage. A truck with the 8.1L and 3.73's feels about the same powerwise as a 6.0 with 4.10's and would get better highway mileage due to the 5 spd and running at a much lower RPM on the highway..

My father in law has an 02 ex cab long bed HD with the 8.1L and he gets between 12-14 mpg constantly, loaded or not.. Always has a plow on in the winter. I ride sleds with a guy that has an 01 crew cab HD with the 6.0 and we get 12mpg when we go north to ride, never changes whether it is loaded or not. When we take my 02 Dmax we are getting 16-18 depending on road conditions.

I agree with you guys my gut instinct is to go with the 6.0L, I just need some reassurance and some honest opinions.

But since it was brought up are the 01-04ish duramax's worth looking at? The increase in purchase price plus the increase in maintenance costs has kind of steered me away for now. Eventually I would like to get a diesel pickup, I just dont know if know is the time, it may be I dont know I guess I need to price some of thoose out too.

I want to keep my options open so please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks Again,

-mt-

Add in "increased insurance costs"....higher value (purchase price) means higher comp and collision rates.

Add in "increased insurance costs"....higher value (purchase price) means higher comp and collision rates.

Good point.

I didnt even think about that. But a half ton gasser will do what I need for now and for the near future so its time to find the cleanest pickup and go after it.

Thanks Again,

-mt-

Thanks Again,

-mt-

The only real common issue with the 01-04 Dmax were the injectors, some had excessive flow rates and needed to be changed.. Some did not, I have seen many early D max's with space shuttle miles on them and no injector problems, my 02 has 115k and I have had 0 issues.. 04.5 they changed the injectors,(LLY) engine.. the early D max was the LB7.. You can find this code on the RPO label.

Again, I would buy the diesel if you can swing it, higher up front cost and higher maintenance costs but if you take care of it, it will last longer..

my 02 silverado has over 210000 miles on it and is still runnin strong! Pulling over steep hills it slows down quite a bit though. If a half ton will get you by then don't shy away from the 5.3L. I have replaced the fuel pump and a battery but the engine and tranny are tip top and aren't leakin yet (knock on wood). Granted the 6.0 will haul faster and the Duramax is deffinitly the way to go. If you get the Half ton be ready to slow down for the long hills but as long as you keep the fluids up you can keep on keepin on

As for as the looking part, your best deals are from an Equipment Trader magazine at the local food mart. I'm in Construction and we're always in those. Unfortunately, you're way up in Wa. Otherwise down in Ohio theres a huge place that has alot of Repos. If I could, I would have gotten this beautiful 06 GMC dually, D-Max with 23k miles, fully loaded for $19,500. It was a repo and was sold before I called.

Its not all about the engine.. The only trans you could get with the 8.1L (496 cid) was the allision which is obviously a 5 speed (til 06, now its a 6 spd), compared to the 4L80E (4spd) behind the 6.0L (366 cid).. With the different power characteristics of these engines and the extra gear with the 8.1L it added up to about the same mileage.. The 8.1 with the allison was a bit more money up front,(thats why the offered both) and again people saw the 8.1L and thought horrible mileage so they didnt sell as well as the 6.0's. Rear axle ratio's also play a huge part on the mileage. A truck with the 8.1L and 3.73's feels about the same powerwise as a 6.0 with 4.10's and would get better highway mileage due to the 5 spd and running at a much lower RPM on the highway..QUOTE]

NOW you tell me...had I known then what I know now! :thumbsup: