Sign in to follow this  

New 08 150r expert

Cool forum, first post:ride: Just picked up a new 08 150r and when i rev the motor and let off quite a bit of oil smoke is apparent (worse when choke is on and cold). Dealer said "ride it and it should clear up". Today we ran 2 tanks through it out in the desert and still smoking. Is this common? Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Two tanks of gas through an engine should be more than enough to seat the rings. I'd say the engine has issues. Keep the dealer informed, and keep records of your rides and of the dealer communications. Don't let this go on for too long before asking your selling dealer for help, he needs a chance to make it right if he is so inclined but his responsibility may diminsh if he feels too many hours have been put on the machine. Good luck.

Are you certain it's oil smoke???

take it back! Have it looked at, these bikes are awesome but if somthing is wrong you need to fix it quick before more damage is done. Your dealer will make it right.

Thanks guys, taking it back, the oil level went from the upper mark to about a quarter way up from the lower mark. Hate having somethin new taken apart but it is what it is:thumbsup:

Dealer called Honda, leak-down test performed, within specs, Honda basically said enjoy your brand new smoking bike... I buy 3 new bikes / quads a year, that's my last Honda :banana:

Do you have a vid to show us how much it's smoking? How often do you change your oil and did you let the bike warm up then cool each time before checking the oil level?

When I let my bike idle with the choke then blip the throttle i get a little smoke, but i think that's excess gas.

Maybe take it to a different dealer and get a second opinion.... Or go up the service-owner chain at your dealer... Might be giving you the run around...:lol:

Is it blue smoke, like oil or just your pipe packing burning itself in...>>>???

Good luck .. Keep us posted...:banana:

Nick

Dealer identified it as "blue oil smoke" but after leak down test Honda said (phone call) it was within specs (leak-down) period. Haven't changed oil yet as bike is new, changing today. also I took it straight back the day of delivery with same problem before it was ever ridden, and again two days later before it was ridden and was told to "put some time on it". My son did, it smokes, and I guess it is what it is :banana: I guess the Japanese co.'s aren't concerned about customer loyality these days just liability if the throttle is sticking:lol:

My sons 08 has smoked a little since day one it now has 2 years of enduro racing. We have adjusted the valves 2wice it still smokes and still a high compresion