Sign in to follow this  

California Dmv Problems with BIke. I need Opinions

I got a family member that bought a kx125 about 2 years ago and with a bill of sale only. And then they got the green sticker and pink a little later , but at the dmv they were told to take the bike to the chp or police for it to be checked. dont know what this is about , so they didnt take it. So about a little less than one year ago we went to Gorman . And we rode there one day and the rangers stopped him on that bike cuase it had the green sticker on the wrong side of the fork. stupid. anyways they did a search on the bike for some reason and it came up nothing. so they took the green sticker. and said go back to the dmv and get that and get this problem fixed. with the sticker and the title. " i forgot to mention that the bike has a white sticker with its number and vin and a canadian logo on the front of frame behind the front numberplate, i guess the bike is from canada. Back to the story. They want to sell the bike now and still almost a year no sticker yet "they never went" and my relative is worried he wil get into problems. but im saying sell it and the next person can get it straightened out and get the sticker and put under their name. But he wants to go get the sticker and fix it , but why if you sell the bike you still have to wait for the sticker and stuff. what should he do , just sell the bike like that. or get it all straightened out and then sell the bike. and do you have to pay for another sticker and pay fees agian it has been almost a year and the sticker might be expired this year.

3x. the back registration and hassle isn't worth it, unless you find someone who doesn't plan to register.

You didn't say what year the bike is. If it is really old you may be able to get it registered correctly. I'm not sure when the change happened, but it was in the 80's. After that time bikes got "proper" 17 digit VINs. The problem is you can't really register a Canadian bike here.

I agree with everyone else. Part it on ebay. If you sell it you may just end up with a really pissed off purchaser when they discover that they can't register the bike. So wither put in the few hours to try and properly register it or part it.

its a 2000, we cant part it that would be too much of a hassle. but would it be better if he went back to dmv to fix or not? do you guys know if youve heard of this canadian sticker, i think the bike from over there , thats why it cuased the problems, and why would the chp want to see the bike? cuase the dmv told them to take the bike to them when they got the green sticker about a year ago.

the CHP looks at the bike and does a "VIN VERIFICATION" form that is then taken back to DMV. If you have a Calif certificate of title now, why not just sell it??

cause family is dumb! ,yeah they do have the pink but i think it was registered wrong so they might need to get another. But its thier problem, im gonna wait and see what happens. thier gonna take it to the dmv and get it straightened out and then sell the bike./

cause family is dumb! ,yeah they do have the pink but i think it was registered wrong so they might need to get another. But its thier problem, im gonna wait and see what happens. thier gonna take it to the dmv and get it straightened out and then sell the bike./

That is the Best. It will only cost 18.00 bucks for a new sticker if it has never expired. Could be 18 + 52 for another 2 years, but that's the best thing to do if not the Flea-bay route.

That is the Best. It will only cost 18.00 bucks for a new sticker if it has never expired. Could be 18 + 52 for another 2 years, but that's the best thing to do if not the Flea-bay route.

i think it was gonna expirethis june, so thiers no point in getting this years, they probably going to make him pay 52 for a new one, cant do the ebay route .

Another example of how much of a dickhead these rangers are..

Another example of how much of a dickhead these rangers are..

because someone essential broke the law and they caught them.

grey market bikes have been on the radar of the DMVs and CARB for awhile.

If you use a bit of common sense and figure it out for the DMV and tek them all the paper work, there really is no major issue. The problem stems from the people not wanting to get the CHP check, probably because they distrust cops or the have something to hide and the second is usually reason for the first. A vin verification is simple, I have personally don it 4 times, CHP comes out, checks vin, checks engine number, BS's about dirtbikes, if the thing isn't stolen and the numbers match, signs it off and you are on your way.

My buddy got a canadian 520 SX green stickered about 2 years ago, did his homework, followed the procedure, no problems. you only run into problems when you try to cut corners.

I'll buy the bike for $200 right now, no questions asked.

Unbelievable!

I would love to see some Ranger try & take my sticker!

:thumbsup:

We don't even stop for Rangers anymore. I don't think a Ranger has ever brought me good news.

Number one.

Bike is ten years old, shouldn't have the grey market problem.

Number two.

They (DMV) will not let you register it 3 or 4 months early, 1 or 2 maybe, not three. If they go to DMV now, it will cost 18 + 52. Like you said, "dumb family".

Number four.

Ranger takes sticker off bike because its on wrong side of bike. Definitely a "Richard Cranium" AKA. Dick Head. Book em' Dano...

Sounds like they have gotten the proper advise and refused to follow through. There is no miracle cure here to get them to do what they were told to do.