Sign in to follow this  

I think I want a 4 stroke, electric start,green sticker, under $3K?

I am looking for feedback. I have ridden for about 6 years-not intensely. I am currently 50 yrs old, weigh about 165 lbs, about 5' 10" tall. Have previously only ridden 250 2 strokes. I am tired of kicking over a bike in precarious situations. I do mostly trail riding, but do like some track work-not to daring. Would probably be considered an intermediate rider-whatever that is. I live in California and want to ride also in the summer. So, I "think" I am looking for a wr250F yamaha, but am limited to 2003 and later because of the electric start starting in 03. The 03,04,05 models seems to have only a red sticker, so I have to start at 06 for that combination. I would really like to find something for cheaper than what that would cost. Don't mind an older bike, like 01, 02. Is there another 4 stroke by another company that would be green sticker, and e-start that I could get older (hence cheaper) than the 06 yamaha?

01 and 02 blow... Best bet is 06 and up. There is also the crf250x and klx models. KTm xcwf too.

Green sticker is anything 2002 or older, or set up to pass emissions. You have to be really careful as some bikes are green sticker one year, not green sticker for a few years, then green sticker again.

Most bikes are knocked out of your requirement for an e-start and the price range.

Many of the 2000-2002 250F bikes had some teething problems.

The Suzuki DRZ250 might fit your needs. This is not a MX bike, but a trail bike. I've ridden my friend's DRZ250 and it had really mild power, but the ride was OK. The bike was completely stock and setup to be dual sported.

DRZ250 discussion

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-736379.html

You should be able to get a nice one for cheap as it's not the "hot 250F" bike.