Sign in to follow this  

'87 kx 250 Cylinder interchangeabilty

Ive got a motor out of an '87 Kx 250 sitting in my garage. The jug on it is toasted and needs to be sleeved, not gonna happen on my budget, and I'm not even sure what I'm gonna do with this motor if I fix it so Really don't wanna spend to much on it. I looked around on ebay, and a pre '88 cylinder is kinda hard to find and every one ive seen needs sleeved. The 88-93 top end is easier to find in better shape, so would I be able to used the '88 up cylinder and head on my '87 case?

That only lets me know what years used the '87 jug. '87 was one year only for that cylinder so the part number isn't gonna match anything eles

Its hard to describe what im trying to do. Pretty much its like I can take a cylinder head from a 2001 ford explorer with a 5.0, and it will bolt up and work on a 289 block from a 60's mustang, even though the 2 engines don't have any part number that are the same, there still in the same family. Get what I'm saying? Now just apply that to a kx 250 engine, and there where i'm going with it..

I don't think there is any other cylinder that will just bolt up. This is due to them thoroughly redesigning the bikes often to compete in a race, compared to an assembly line cranking out parts for years to build vehicles to travel on highways. If they didn't retool often, they would get passed on the sales floor, on the way to the track / bank.

If you ever want to sell the 1987 KX250 engine, e-mail me at administrator at kdxgarage.com. Depending on price, I may be interested.

I'm not talking about just using the jug off a newer bike, im thinking more along the lines of everything from the base gasket up. Ive been looking at pics of the early '90s parts and the base of the jug look like it bolts up the same. idk ill shoot you an e mail

Edited by BustedassYZ

I did not post my address in an easy for you to click on form because I don't want to get spammed from computers that troll forums scooping up e-mail addresses.

Any chance you could edit your post? Thank you.

KDX, theres an extra D in the adress he posted so it shouldnt be spammed anyway.

There is an 87 being parted out local here, said to have a complete and running engine. Whats a good cylinder worth?

I guess it depends on how good it is. I think it would be hard to find a good 1987 cylinder, meaning one that has much life left, or isn't sleeved.