Sign in to follow this  

What makes your DS so special?

Ok, so what made you buy the DS you have over other models?

What are the best things about your DS?

What are things that could be better about your DS?

What are your favorite add-ons?

Answer one or answer all, it doesn't matter. Pics are cool too!

Ok, I'll go first.

I had an XR400. I waited too long to get it plated in Ca. I wanted a full dirt oriented bike because most of my friends only have green sticker bikes. I wanted the plate to ride trails that are closer to home and street privileges.

KTM EXC.

Best things:

light weight, electric start, 6 gears and it can go on forestry roads!

DSC02205.jpg

Could be better:

The sub frame could be stronger

Fav add-ons:

4 galllon tank

i bought my 08 530excr because like you i wanted to enjoy the back roads countryside of cali that requires a plate, while still having a very capable DIRT bike. i ride the desert alot and forest single track some and even occasionally the mx track.

i love inverted forks on bikes so most ds bikes are out right there, ktm fit that need.

super strong smooth power.

better=the factory battery and charging are a bit inferior, and the cooling could be better, but both are reasonbly easy and cheaply fixed

Basically, because it was put in front of me and offered at a cheap price.

I wasn't even looking for a dual-purpose bike at the time, to be honest, because I was riding a 2009 DR-Z400SM with some nice goodies added to it.

I work at a motorcycle dealership and a 2008 WR-250R came in on trade with 118 miles on it.

This was June of 2009.

I was offered to be able to buy it for what the trade-in value was, so I went for it.

It got me back into riding off-road regularly, to the point that I recently bought a 2009 WR-250F (an off-road-only bike), put it through inspection and registration, and am now using that for my off-road riding.

My WR-250R, after about 2,600 miles of mixed street and dirt usage, is now my street bike.

I even put the stock street tires back on it.

Another cool thing about this bike is that I'm still impressed at the speed and acceleration it can muster.

It's certainly the fastest 250cc dual-purpose bike I've ever owned, and it's good power and high-reving nature makes it a lot of fun to ride.

Tip:

If you want the best out of this bike, do the commonly-done uncorking mods and lower the gearing quite a bit - the stock 13/43 sprockets are only on there to allow the bike to pass yet another silly EPA sound test.

I'm running either 12/47 or 12/48 sprockets, depending on my mood, and the bike is MUCH snappier, peppier, and feels geared for optimum performance while still having the ability to cruise at 60mph without breaking a sweat.

More power is something everyone wants, no matter how the bike runs. :thumbsup:

The bike would be even better with 20lbs. less weight.

The feel at the clutch lever ain't as smooth-feeling as I'd like.

Feels kinda' dry and sticky and squeaky, like the clutch cable is a bit rusty inside, even after lubrcating it which I do quite often.

I should replace the cable to see it that will cure the gripe.

All-in-all, I ain't got much else to bitch about.

Without a doubt, the mods that are pretty much considered by WR-250R riders to be a requirement:

*Getting rid of the EPA airbox flapper.

*Using a fuel injection programmer (Power Commander, FMF Power Programmer, etc.).

*Aftermarket exhaust (most seem to use the FMF Powerbomb header and Q4 muffler, and I am, too).

*Lower gearing.

*If you're doing a lot of off-road riding, better tires suited for it.

I was using motocross knobbies: Bridgestone M23/M22.

*Plastic handguards from a 2000 TT-R250M.

These little beauties block a lot of wind, which does my hands a lot of good this time of year. :ride:

It was cheap.

PB080005.jpg

Easy to work on, Lots of used parts available.

newshock.jpg

Better Everything. :thumbsup: Power, Brakes, Suspension, Weight.

Protaper Bars

Ricochet Armor

Black Seat

IMG_3092.jpg

All three have plates!

Since 1972 I have only owned one bike that did not have a plate. A CR125 with a MR175 engine.

They are just motorcycles, the riding is the sport not the bike. I have had just as much fun on POS bikes as any of the high performance ones.

countdown, i agree-riding is the primary thing, it is 1st, but the fact that it is 1st, denotes there is a 2nd and maybe a 3rd......

so for me second is the performance of the machine im on. i have raced mx most of my life and can use and feel the varying performance pros and cons of different machines.

a high performance, well suspended, good handling bike is important to me.

as people are getting into the sport, or upgrading to a new, or newer, or bigger bike it is cool for them to be able to read different peoples thoughts and feelings on a wide range of bikes.

this thread is cool, and so far, i dont see anyone saying "you bike sucks-my bike is better" nor should anyone say that.

pterry is a really cool guy and im sure his intent was just to start a fun discussion on bikes in general, maybe a bit of education, and a database for people to use to help make more informed choices.

good on ya pt :thumbsup:

Why? DRZ400S is rock solid (with a few known preventative fixes) reliable and not high strung for a guy that is mostly doing medium paced riding on fires roads and single track.

What's best? Not very expensive, two sets of wheels for different kinds of riding, been in production for 10 years so there's lots of parts and knowledge.

What could be better? LOSE 40 LBS!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite add ons? Suspension tuning and off road armor to protect the bike and a GPS.

Initially, because I found that it was real reliable, and secondly, I found this one for cheap.

The 6 speed, and the monstrous down low torque.

*EDIT* THE PLATE!

She's a big girl, even for a 350. I've made her 20 lbs lighter, but an additional 20 lbs would be nice.

The inverted forks, coupled with the new rear spring, she can dominate the nasty stuff like nobodys business.

The pumper carb was a real improvement too. Also the kickstand mod I did.

Wherever I go, the contest for "Most clapped out dirt bike" is pretty much over before it starts.

Bought it Because: Seemed like a good deal at the time

Best mod: The Tank. I don't even count bark busters as a mod

Best feature: Starting and going 65 mph, in the same gear.

Worst thing: I wish it was more reliable. It just has too many miles and years on it for me to know that it will run each time, every time. Everything on it is worn out. Like the shifter splines, the day I figured out it will start and go 65mph in the same gear (4th)

I predict that I will replace it with either a newer one, or a Husky 610 in the future.

CopyofP1000150.jpg

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far! Some cool pics too! This is interesting to me and may also help noobs that are looking into dualsports bikes.

Because I needed something that gets 70mpg while commuting 8months of the year, and could still hang with the new technology out there. Of course, it wasn't offered by the dealers, so I had to build it.

Cool thread.

I have a 2002 TTR250.

TTR250_Finished.jpg

Ok, so what made you buy the DS you have over other models? Easy, after owning and trying a few out, I wanted a smaller, simpler, reliable and affordable (meaning to support and repair too) bike for all around trail riding and light dual sport adventures.

What are the best things about your DS? It's a little tractor, will not go super fast, but will take you anywhere and always takes you home. It's a model that has very very few known issues, and it's aircooled and put together well, it's a rock solid machine and delivers all of its power where I want it the most, down low.

What are things that could be better about your DS? The TTR has very little aftermarket compared to its peers, not much for tanks or racks, so you have to be creative. Other than that, it's nearly perfect to me.

What are your favorite add-ons? I made my own DS wiring kit, LED lights and that was a fun add-on. I also love the TUSK trail bags & tank bags...for what little they cost they're invaluable and work as good as anything. I like to keep my bike lean, cheap & simple...so I haven't added much.

2007 KTM 525XC-W.

What made you buy the DS you have over other models?

Wanted a KTM for a while. Nice bikes. Dealer had one sitting on the floor and offered me a deal I couldn't pass up.

It's a street-legal dirt bike :thumbsup:

Ride to work, then take the long way home.

Love the looks I get from the yuppie soccer-moms in the SUV's when I blow by 'em.

Faster, quieter, more powerful, etc.

Really wish the service intervals were longer. 15hrs between oil changes means I'm doing them twice a month during the summer.

GPS+mount is pretty damn cool.

DSC00357.jpg

What makes your DS so special?

It's mine.

Ok seriously, it's special to me because it's one of the few times where my wife put her foot down and forced me to buy something for myself (normally my wife doesn't "tell" me what to do, so when she does there's usually a reason to listen). The previous owner wanted too much for it when I bought it, but she demanded I buy it and get out of my funk. It's old, it's beat up, it's seen better days, kind of like me, but it still goes and it's still a blast to ride.

My wife made me buy this bike when it was forsale. I owned an XR250 before (sold it after getting hurt at work) and while bulletproof/fun it just didn't have enough power for me. Since she all but demanded I buy it, I had the money at the time, and I've been almost completely happy with it ever since.

It's a DIRT bike with a plate on it. I'm of the mind that for me it's better to have a dirt bike that I can ride on the road, rather than a steret bike that I can ride in the dirt. Light weight (comparatively speaking), utterly reliable, quick, powerful, and most importantly FUN to ride! Oh yeah.. it's a plated XR600R and it was done waaaay before the CA Ban... I don't think getting my plate revoked is in my future!

A bigger tank! I'm JONESIN' for an Acerbis Mega-Tank for it! 4.7 Gallons is nice but 6.0 is PERFECT for what I want/NEED. having the E-Start button would be nice sometimes as an addition to the kick starter. It needs better lighting up front, a real skidplate, oil cooler, and respring it for my weight. Another 50cc's of "power" would make the bike PERFECT with the above additional mods.

Bigger tank over stock, my luggage rack (I'm pretty proud of it), and as soon as I get the money for it a nice BRIGHT headlight. An E-Start if Baja Designs still made one would rock too.

Previous owner put on the barkbusters, got it plated, cobra muffler...

ETA:

With dual carbs it doesn't "need" a pumper!

Ok, so what made you buy the DS you have over other models? I started out looking for an XR650R, but wasn't sure I could get one plated or keep the plate if it had one, so I started looking for other bikes in the 500 to 700cc displacement range that were light and could be licensed. I thought about the Husky 610, but it was too heavy, so then I looked at the Husky 510 and the Husaberg 570 which were similar in weight, capabilities, handling and quality. The Husaberg had better suspension components (WP v. Mazz/Sachs), better handling and a very tractable power band. I like how it went slow.

What are the best things about your DS? The combination of the trail handling and the fact that even with 12/52 gearing it can do 90+MPH indicated on pavement, but can still go very slow off-road. People who have ridden it have called it a 'tractor', and yet it can go fast too if you want it to - it has the power and the suspension to do both.

What are things that could be better about your DS? It could be lighter. The bike is very tall (38+" with the seat I have on it. It could carry more fuel (aux. tanks will be on the market soon). It is thirsty (32 MPG). I need to get new springs because I am about 80 pounds over the target weight of the suspension. I wish Christini made a kit for it - that would make it the ultimate trail bike.

What are your favorite add-ons? That's easy - the Rekluse.

Fandangoleftside.jpg

Fandangoright.jpg

Edited by CodeMonkee