Sign in to follow this  

Which tire plugs??

I'm just wondering wich type of tire plug is best for my tubeless Dunlop 803??

My understanding is the black plugs are for bias tires and need to have glue applied to them?

The red/brown plugs are for radial tires (like my 803) and don't need any glue added?

Who has experience with either, or both, types of plugs on tubless trials tires?

What works best?

Thanks, Phil

I know nothing about the colors... I've been using some black, no-name ones from walmart without glue and they've done fine. So far, 3 in and none back out.

First day out on my new Dunlop rear I put a sharp stick through the sidewall 20 minutes into the ride. I used a brown plug, because that's what my friend had sitting in his garage at the time. One year later, still has the same plug sticking out the sidewall. The tire needs to be replaced, but not because of the plug.

I have plugged more tires than most. I like the Camel 1520 insert or the Saftey Seal inserts. Both are the redish type and very flexible.

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/offroadrefill.htm

http://www.smarter.com/other-automotive-products/camel-heavy-duty-4-inch-steel-belted-radial-inserts-60-inserts-per-box/pd--ch-43--pi-17673.html

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like just about any of them work well.

Otpi, do you use glue with those safety seal plugs?

Never needed to use any glue. They are a very sticky.

yes opti but glue is an added security,done!

That's true Fester, it depends on whether you have the time to let the glue dry. If it is a field repair or in competition you want to plug it dry.

If it is a shop repair and you have time to let the glue dry, it cant hurt.