Sign in to follow this  

Melatonin... Any side effects?

Hey Dr. Mark and all other peeps... I've been taking anywhere from 6mg to 12mg of melatonin for about a week now because I can't sleep. I've got some acid reflux problems that make it to where I have to keep my head/neck elevated but more relevant to the problem is everytime I lay down around midnight or so I start thinking of my ex and end up popping the pills at 3 or 4 because by then I'm wide awake.

I read that for depression only 5mg is recomended and that the highest dose was for cancer patients at 20mg. Luckly I didn't take the ladies advise I got it from cause she said I could take up to 9 and they are 3mg each.

What do y'all think? Am I gonna get addicted or is there anything bad with taking it prolonged?

melatonin will only zonk you out for a few hours and then you're wide awake again. try velarian root; the good stuff, not the pills you can buy in the super market. also try working out or some cardio after dinner, it'll chill you out by bedtime and help clear your head.

melatonin will only zonk you out for a few hours and then you're wide awake again. try velarian root; the good stuff, not the pills you can buy in the super market. also try working out or some cardio after dinner, it'll chill you out by bedtime and help clear your head.

Thanks I've actually been meaning to start running again. I wake up very tired almost every morning but did notice I would wake up earlier after taking these pills... Specally when I'd take a higher dose for some reason. I might just need to get another night job cause I love the morning when everythings calm and it's the perfect time to go to sleep...lol.

Dr. Mark any thoughts on getting hooked on this stuff or taking too much?

Supplementing any hormone is a bad idea as playing with your endocrine system is inevitably tied up in hormone imbalance. i.e. side effects.

Hey there, I have had a similar problem for a while now, the sleep I mean, not the ex but I hear you on that as well. Just turned forty and since the new year have gotten back into the rythym of running and exercise and it has made a massive difference. Burning off that stress and energy through running has been great for me. It also gives you a quiet 35-60 min to chew over this shit in your mind so maybe later you won't be obsessing so much. I also, take Melatonin but only half a tab sends me to sleepy land. I have been feeling so much better and more effective at work because of the exercise as well. I'd give it a try before I started getting into too much of the artificial stuff. I think that's a big problem for society these days(myself included), we don't do enough physically to be tired enough to get enough sleep, so we don't have the energy to do enough physically to be tired enough to get some sleep, so we turn to the drugs.

My two bits and good luck, and if your feeling down let somebody know eh? You, don't have to do it all alone, even if you feel like you do.

Cheers,

T:thumbsup:

Thanks guys... I haven't been active at all for about 4 months so I think that's a big part of it.

Yeah, I saw you on the fat bastard thread as well(myself included). I knew a chick once who was a fitness instructor and in ridiculous shape and I asked how and all she said was...ready for it... calories in, calories out. Don't put more in than you burn and you're good. Course the exercise helps a ton. Good luck with getting out there man, the first while is tough but everyone on the other thread will be rooting for yah.

Cheers,

T:busted:

Yep it's all about the in and outs...lol. I was in a 6 month academy with very harsh PT schedule and diet and lost 40 pounds. I coulda probably dropped 60 (if I even had it to lose) except every weekend when I got to leave the grounds I was eating 6 or 7 plates at the buffets... :ride: Once I was done training though I stuck to my eating plan instead of workout plan and gained the 40 back in about a month and a half :thumbsup:

Hey Dr. Mark and all other peeps... I've been taking anywhere from 6mg to 12mg of melatonin for about a week now because I can't sleep. I've got some acid reflux problems that make it to where I have to keep my head/neck elevated but more relevant to the problem is everytime I lay down around midnight or so I start thinking of my ex and end up popping the pills at 3 or 4 because by then I'm wide awake.

redswr, sorry to hear that you have an 'ex' been there done that, not good.

If I know I'm going to have problems sleeping I take 1/2 a Zanax, it works, although sometimes it takes a while in the morning till I'm fully functional. The doctor may have something better for you.

Don't ignore the acid reflux problems, if you have to elevate your head/neck, then you have some seruios issues you should address in that respect.

Here is some interesting stuff on Melatonin

http://www.newuniversity.org/main/ar...one_may_hurt49

I had a bad car accident in January 2007 where I received a brain injury.

Basically since then I've had insomnia. In the worst part of it, I'd stay up for 3-4 days straight. Melatonin worked then but I always felt groggy when I woke up like the sleep didn't help.

Sometimes even now I take Melatonin still but I will wake up from it occasionally.

As far as I've been told from my Drs. (dunno if this is true or not..) but the more you take Melatonin the less your body will produce of it naturally. I've stopped taking it regularly and I can now fall asleep on my own again...although never at a regular time.

I believe the body making less, just keeping the balance. I had a similar thing with my sinuses. Used the "non addicitve" nasal spray and after a while my sinuses were always stuffed before bed and the stuff worked for shorter periods. Went cold turkey for two weeks and hey presto I can go to bed with just a breathe right on and I don't wake up with a bruise on my ass from the wife kicking it all night for me to shut up.

Cheers,

T:thumbsup:

hormones decline as we age..working out will help in sleep..meletonin is excellent for sleep...tryptophane is and amino acid and is a great sleep inducer..i drink a casien protein drink every nite before bed...the milk has trytophan in it and helps me