Sign in to follow this  

no spark xr600

hi all, new member here and i am having an issue with my 94 xr600r, it stopped on me about four months ago on the way home from a wet weekend ride we had to cross a weir which had water up around the bottom of the motor/stator area, it didnt actually stop there but about 5kms up the road after putting it down from a top gear wheelie, so i am unsure if its water thats caused the problem or a loose wire etc from my wheelie. here is some of the tests that me and a mate have done,

stator is reading 91.5ohms,

swapped cdi and coil for that from a working bike,

pulse generator 407 ohms,

performed continunity tests and visual check on all circuits (we think),

by passed kill switch,

we also tested where the stator joins the cdi whilst kicking it over (no plug of course) and the average reading was 7.4 volts,

although i am no bike mechanic (obviously) i would assume that it would have to be an open circuit somewhere as i would imagine that even with 91.5 ohms reading from the stator that i would still manage at least a some spark rather than nothing? what sort of ohms should a standard stator put out anyway? thanks ahead for all you input and suggestions, bucket

Sounds like the stator ignition high voltage winding. You need about 60 volts to get any kind of spark. The resistance is way too small. The exact value varies by year but they are all a lot more than 91 ohms. I don't have my manual handy, but I think it should be more like 240 ohms.

so it looks like i need a visit to rickystator.com? heard any bad on them? or is there a cheaper option as i have no intention of running anymorw than might standard headlight.

I don't have my manual handy, but I think it should be more like 240 ohms.

Yeah, somewhere between 230-320Ω.

If you're a glutton for punishment, you could try rewinding the exciter coils on your current stator.

91 ohms is what it should read. your output voltage is way low. make sure you have the meter set to ac volts when testing. if its truly only 7 volts you may have found the problem. stators can sometimes check ok with an ohms meter but still be bad. the older xr600 stators (84-90) will read 320 ohms when they are good

so what sort of voltage output should i be looking at mikestator? 60 volts as per cleonards post? ( as i have said above, i am getting 7.4 volts kicking it over with no plug and it has ZERO spark and has ZERO intention of firing up) GRRRRR frustrating......

hard to say, it depends how you fast kick it, but from resistance test

the coils looks shorted.it takes some time for the coils to shorten out

and it manifests itself in hard starting until it fails completely.

it also worst on warm motor,when its cold it may start again.

I measured the voltage by disconnecting the black/red wire under the seat and using the voltmeter on the stator wire (female bullet connector). With a digital voltmeter on AC you will get a bunch of numbers changing wildly when you kick. You should see a few numbers over 60 pop up for a moment. It's a lot easier with an old school analog meter, but those are rare these days.

thanks for that cleonard, i will duck over to my mates house this afternoon and try that, if it aint gettin into the 60volts area i guess ill will be getting a rickystator.suhariani, that was constant kicking ,fast as it had no plug in. thanks all for your help, i will let you know how i go this afternoon.

did this test cleonard, definatly only getting 6.8-7.4 volts average out of that black-red wire, so i think its fair to say my stator is ****ed. thanks very much for your help, whats the best way to go? get a new rickystator or get mine re-wound. no not really interested in rewinding it myself as i'm a failure when it come to patience related issues. looks like rickystators have a good reputation. just have to get 1 sent from US to Australia now!

The more recent XR600's use a different Exciter winding..it has a resistance of ~90 Ohm...so it would appear OK. I have a '92 model XR600 and it just won't start. However I did replace the Pulse Generator as I confirmed that it was O/C...I now find that the old Pulse Generator measures correct(400 Ohm) on the bench so it is was intermittant(very nasty). I have researched the Stator and believe it could still be my problem even though it measures OK (90 Ohm).But another possibility is the CDI...I may end up rewinding the Exciter as the RickyStator option is a bit expensive here in Oz. Hope this helps...Roger