Sign in to follow this  

Mx setup for trails

I want to do a bit of trail work with my 09kx450 and was wondering if anyone has any setup tips. So far i fit a set of barkbusters egos.

:ride: Get a Rekluse pro clutch , a F M F Q pipe , slower turn throttel cam , and you will have a great woods wepon . I ride a 06 KX 450 with the above set up ,great in the woods!:thumbsup:

:ride: Get a Rekluse pro clutch , a F M F Q pipe , slower turn throttle cam , and you will have a great woods weapon . I ride a 06 KX 450 with the above set up ,great in the woods!:thumbsup:

If you are like me and do mostly mx with the occasional woods ride all you really need other than barkbusters is a skid plate. An mx style glide plate will do in most cases unless there are tons of big rocks. The Rekluse Core EXP clutch is also highly recommended, it will help in both mx and woods. It won't lose feel at the lever like the z-start pro and has a more aggressive engagement. Other than that you should be good. Like Tom said, maybe look into an adjustable throttle cam, The FI kx450s are pretty snappy.

The main things you need for offroad on a MX bike is a skit plate, bark busters, Narrower handlebars, Quiet muffler, Flywheel weight and the suspension revalved for less high speed damping so it can respond better over roots and rocks. You also may want a larger fuel tank.

I guess my biggest issues are the abrupt power delivery and the suspension. The suspension is a little stiff but easily changed. Flywheel weight is something ive never even thought of before, how wil it change the engine characteristics? If it helps with wheelspin going up snotty hillclimbs then im all for it.

It will help traction, make power more manageable.

Throttle cams work well too.