Sign in to follow this  

Question about SM carb

Hello,

I have a 2008 drz400s. Stock. I will be doing the 3x3 mod as well as a JD jet kit. Thanks for all the posted info.

While reading the master 3x3 post. I got through about 30 pages and stopped. I read somewhere that an SM carb has a different main jet. The SM tends to have more Hp on the bottom and the top end. The Main jet isn't removable.....

Would it be advantageous to find a used sm carb and re-jet it with a 3x3?

I understand an FCR39 would be more potent, but it seems like the graph I saw from Eddie showed a substantial difference in the power range of an SM vs. S carb.

Just curious seems like it may be easier to buy a stock sm carb and then sell mine on ebay.

I will not be modifying the exhaust. Just too loud for me.

Would love to hear your facts, opinions, and experiences.

Thanks for all your help in advance. This forum is chocked full of helpful information. I tried to find a specific post dealing with this but could only find bits of info on the 3x3 mod thread.

Ben

Not sure what you read but the main jets are the same and they are removable. The S and SM carbs are virtually the same. Apparently the only difference is a reworked air passage or something like that. Doesn't seem to matter anyway, because neither makes more power over the other. So just jet what you have.

I must have misread the post. Didn't seem to make sense. If it was advantageous there would probably be a lot of threads about it.

Thank you for clarifying. :thumbsup:

If it was advantageous there would probably be a lot of threads about it.

You know it! We'd be seeing SM carbs selling like hot cakes! :thumbsup: