Sign in to follow this  

Supercross RC on Neck Brace

Anyone hear RC's comments on the neck brace situation? Wow, he basically said that he was not convinced the research on the brace preoved enough results for him to believe in the product! Pretty bold statement from the Champ. He also said he didn't like it.

-I personally hated my Leatt for about 5 rides, restricted movement, and being generally uncomfortable. Then I stopped wearing the strap and made some adjustments, now I never even notice I have it on. Honestly I proply would have never purchased one, if it had not been a gift, because of the $$.

-Now however I feel like it is a great piece of protection, that has to be better than nothin if I go and accidently lawn dart myself.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I also thought it was weird, he's entitled to his opinion tho.

I give him a :thumbsup: for his candid, honest response. There are a handful of top guys that don't wear neck protection.

Neck braces are nothing short of a fashion statement most of the time, the guys I know that have them would down grade there leatt for the next brace that "looks cool". Makes me laugh cause all they talk about it what brace looks the coolest but yet give me shit about not wearing one.

Oh and next time your at a practice session take a look at the guys in braces smoking cigs after a moto or driving off with out a seat belt. Seriously theres about a trillion other ways your more likely to get hurt than break your neck.

I was glad to hear RC give his honest opinion and not a canned response. However, it doesn't change the fact that I will continue to wear mine to increase my chances that I will be around for my kids.

I don't like them either.

What I found a bit strange from RC was after his comment about not being convinced about the research, which is his opinion and I'm cool with that, was something to the effect of Leatt is not good b/c Dungy's just came off.

That was the first time I have ever seen a brace come off. Never seen it at the track I ride, never saw in any SX/MX series.

I, for one, will still wear mine b/c it looks so damn cool :thumbsup:

I thought that comment was kind of funny. Something about The Leatt not being able to make it 20 laps in SX.

-I often have to tighten the screws on mine, the latches seem to come loose, which could result in the brace falling off.

I noticed his comments as well. I thought he was kinda funny. Ralph put him on the spot and RC tried to be honest without saying they are crap. Personally I think it is definitely better to have one than not, but I could just be brainwashed.

just cause he can ride fast does not make him an expert on anything, except riding fast:) conversely I can ride slow and am not an expert either...really his comment is just an opinon, like the many shared on this forum. Take it for what is worth. I'm pretty sure he does use the Hans device while trying to race a car.

Ralph's question really caught him off guard, especially since he obviously does not endorse their product. I think RC is doing a great job in the booth and he continues to get better. I appreciate his honest, yet politically correct answer. But I will still wear my Leatt even though he doesn't endorse it.

I believe NASCAR mandated the use of a HANS device in competition quite a few years back. Plus the use is proven effective in a car. It can be argued that a Leatt is not proven effective and can cause injury in MX/SX.

I believe NASCAR mandated the use of a HANS device in competition quite a few years back. Plus the use is proven effective in a car. It can be argued that a Leatt is not proven effective and can cause injury in MX/SX.

Agreed....

just cause he can ride fast does not make him an expert on anything, except riding fast:) conversely I can ride slow and am not an expert either...really his comment is just an opinon, like the many shared on this forum. Take it for what is worth. I'm pretty sure he does use the Hans device while trying to race a car.
Him being a top dog in the industry gives him access to more info/support then we can imagine. He talked about not being convinced by the testing results. There's a big chance he was in on something we ignore.

I love that RC made those comments. Finally someone who people respect who didnt drink the "kool aid" ..

And yeah I think they look cool to but dont and wont wear one.

But hey if it makes someone else ride with more confidence then why the eff not I guess.

Not sure any evidence has been put out that proves their effective. It's more of a make up your own mind thing. Alot of guys bought one after a guy in a wheelchair told them to. I sure hope he got a piece of the profits. He deserves some.

My mom bought mine (shes a nurse) so in her mind any thing that will help reduce a injury is good in her mind. I have wore it since they came out with it. I forgot it at the track once and it felt weird riding w/o it. But ive had some crashes and feel it did its job

Personally, I think the Omega is a better design...just my dumass opinion though. Since nobody has even tried to gather the statistics, we have no empirical data. The whole situation stinx of greed if ya ask me.

agreed there

Also I guess if you are as good as RC is you dont dress to crash either since he rarely did that in the last few years of his career. He did take some huge hits through the years and survived them all without a brace.

He should have deferred the question to Fro sooner.

Him being a top dog in the industry gives him access to more info/support then we can imagine. He talked about not being convinced by the testing results. There's a big chance he was in on something we ignore.

My thougts on RC not being an expert. He may not be a neck brace engineering expert but I'm sure he's done more testing than we've done riding yet people still ask questions in here and listen. What makes RC less qualified than us TTer's?