Sign in to follow this  

650 metal base gasket - why three?

I need to order those metal cylinder base gasket, and I was wondering why is there three of them?

There is only one current part #. The others have been superseded.

There is only one current part #. The others have been superseded.

I noticed that, however, my bike also had the three metal gaskets stacked. Might this be a misconception that there is suppose to be only one even though the parts diagram shows three?

Other thing now that I think about it. I noticed that my piston pin doesn't push out the sides...or rather it does, but when halfway, you really have to push it to get it to move. I got it to the point where I got it off the conrod, but I doubt that the pin will go all the way?

Happy trails

/\ Did you buy it new or used? If used, maybe the previous owner did it to bump up the compression a bit.

/\ Did you buy it new or used? If used, maybe the previous owner did it to bump up the compression a bit.

It was used....duh, it is a used bike. But, wont it decompress it cause you are in effect extending the cylinder? IOW, one gasket has high compression than three gaskets.

Well, consensus is one only, thus one shall be the number that I shall order, which is one less than two, and two less than three, for the number it is one. And one shall be placed into the engine, for it is said that it should be one, nhy three, which is two more than one, nhy two which is one more that only one. :thumbsup:

You only buy one gasket. It consists of layered metal pieces (I think 3?) that are held together with rivets. This is how you recognize if a bike has a metal base gasket by the way, the rivets stick out on the side of the cylinder.

dr650_base_gasket.jpg

And yes, a thicker base gasket will decrease compression. I think BSR-1 removed one from the pack to bump it up slightly. Be very careful when you do this though, and make sure that you have adequate piston to valve clearance.

But, wont it decompress it cause you are in effect extending the cylinder? IOW, one gasket has high compression than three gaskets.

Whoops you're right, I'm an idiot. :thumbsup: