Sign in to follow this  

Is this a decent deal?

Thanks guys I just need a few more responses and I'm all in! I know 04 was a good year for the ktm 125. I like the color, newer top end, tires only about 70% but that's ok. I"m meeting the guy tomorrow about an hour drive for both of us, so if it looks, sounds and feels good then I'll buy it. (my first dirt bike since yz 80 big wheel in 95!!)

Definately buy it!!! I just bought a 04 ktm almost identical to the one your looking at and it has done nothing but impress me since then. In 04 the ktm won the 125 MXA bike of the year so its a great bike, not to mention the amount of power it has and extremely useable powerband

all i can say is BUY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before the guy relises he is stupid for selling it that cheap

Well I guys I bought the bike!! Couple things though:

The bike hasn't been ridden in about 6 months. The bike wouldn't idle without the choke on. And when the choke was on it was to high of an idle. It would idle for maybe 5-10 seconds without the choke on then would die. IF I eased into the throttle when riding the bike seemed to be fine, but not very powerfull. But IF I hit the throttle any harder the bike would bog down bad. I also noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust and fresh oil leakage on the tailpipe. I"m not sure if its the old gas/oil or a jetting problem or does the carb need a cleaning? Should I take it in and have someone tune it up?

He had more then the top end done. So was the entire engine rebuilt? Here's what the receipt says.

Rod out

rebuild as needed

spark plug

rod kit

wiseco piston, gaskets

muose?? (not sure what this is)

main bearings

split case - press crank rode (not sure)

Total $655

I'm hoping its just a simple fix. What do you guys think? I can take some pictures if it would help?

Take off the carb and clean it out really well. The jets are probably clogged from the gas sitting in there so long. Once you clean out the carb, start it up and see how it runs. You may have to rejet the carb for your elevation and temperature. If you are relatively mechanically inclined, you can do all this yourself and learn about your bike while saving money. I am not trying to steer you away from Thumpertalk but KTM Talk will have more than enough information to get you on the right path for tuning your bike and the people over there are really nice and helpful too.