Sign in to follow this  

XR650R Hard to start when left for a week

Hi,

My bike takes ages to start when it's been left for a while, a few days or more. But once started, fires up easily after that.

Anyone else have the same problem, or could suggest a solution?

Cheers

David.

IMHO, it's the formulation of the gas these days. It seems to go bad a lot quicker than it used to back in the 70's when you could leave it sitting for six months and there would be noticeable degradation of it. :thumbsup:

Your carb might also have a slight varnish buildup in it, that coupled with one week old gas could be causing the hard starts. :ride:

could be the gas evaporating from the small circuits or bowl on your carb. After sitting for a week, fuel on, put it on full choke, pull decomp in, kick 6 or 8 times fast, decomp out, find TDC, pull decomp in slightly, nudge it just past TDC, decomp out and give her a nice swift kick.

Following that procedure always works on mine.

At the end of a riding weekend I always pull up and put the bike in neutral. Then I let it idle until the fuel in the carb gets used up. I'm sure draining the carb would be even better, but this is really easy to do.

i can actually get mine started in one kick even sitting for over a week, cold also. I put on choke (flapper is reomved too) hold throttle open wide and decomp in, kick it like 4/5 times then go thru normal start procedure, kinda primes it up and ive had it on kick start in 45degree tems with sitting for 2 weeks even

Is your gas over in the states absolute rubbish because, once my bike sat idle for about 2 months i thinks and started up on the 2nd/3rd kick?

Maybe your just all soft, dont know how to kick a mans bike :thumbsup:

oh no no, she's just pissed.......you can't let her sit for a week...

oh no no, she's just pissed.......you can't let her sit for a week...

Maybe ur pissed lol? Starting her whilst drunk or with a hangover would be difficult me thinks :thumbsup:

My 600, my buddy's 600, my generator all are hard to start when sitting a while. It always was'nt this way. It has to be this piss gas we get nowadays.

i can actually get mine started in one kick... kick it like 4/5 times then go thru normal start procedure..

Must be the new math?:thumbsup:

our gas in canada is total crap.if i let my xrr sit for a week or 2 ,there is no way i can start it.i can let the carb drain,refill with fresh fuel from the tank and it,ll start in 1 kick.the week old gas from the carb smells off and is discolored in that short of time.my yz250 2st also does the same thing.even our quads do it but it takes a little longer for the fuel to go stale.

Must be the new math?:ride:

kicking with decomp in to just turn over engine doesnt count LOL its the full compression kicks!! :thumbsup:

Yes winter time has crappy gas thanks to the greenies (DEMS, HIPPIES...ETC..) and their love for clean burning fuels.Ethanol, it'll screw your kids and your bikes over.

Is your gas over in the states absolute rubbish because, once my bike sat idle for about 2 months i thinks and started up on the 2nd/3rd kick?

Yes, our gas is rubbish. It was actually alright when MTBE was the oxygenate, but the switch to ethanol made it noticeably worse. If the fuel is stored in plastic containers(even "air tight" plastic), it will degrade quite a bit in just four to eight weeks. My bike is borderline on 91 (R+M/2) octane pump fuel and it pings a lot more on eight week-old fuel than it does on fresh. Winter and summer blends do differ, but if anything, the winter blend probably has more aromatic hydrocarbons for better cold starting. Ethanol has a higher flash point than many pertroleum-derived components of gasoline, so it does not vaporize well at low temperatures.

However, my bike is not hard to start even on spoiled fuel and after sitting for months. On average it takes about three kicks to start after sitting with a dry carb and only one kick when warm. 68/170 jets and 2000-4000ft/600-1200m.

Lots of people complain about XRs being hard to start, but it's (usually) all in the tune.

I sometimes don't start mine for a month or two and it kicks up right away, even with the same fuel in it. Don't ask how.

Some bikes really do get pissed....

My son's XR80R would never start if it sat for more than a week.

grab a screwdsriver, open drain, drain out 2 tablespoons of yellow crap from the bowl, and then start one kick every time.

I always blamed it on the Tomato colored plastic !