Sign in to follow this  

Brake Pads?

How long do you guys get out your brake pads?

Took my bike out couple of weeks ago to the track for first time in ages, came back and rear brake pads had worn out. So ready for next outing put new rear brake pads in.

Took my bike out this weekend and my brake pads completly worn out again after two hours. This can't be right can it. They usualy last longer than that.

Track was wet and muddy but still... i would expect more than that from them.

ive gotten 72.1 hours outa my OEM brake pads, and yes i have a hour meter, i ride harescrambles/trails and i was very surprized, i still had a very lil bit o nthe rear and the front were still damn good, but i repalced em both with renthals.

72.1 hours thats amazing. Do you know who make the oem pads? The ones i am using are Goldfren ceramics.

not to sure about who makes them but their 60$ for both front and rear together, the renthals were a lil cheaper but thats casue their not OEM, im sure these will hold up fine, i got the sintered, which is supposed to last very long time, and its the same type as the OEM ones.

yea oem kawi brakes are great! i got 108hrs out of my oem rears and the fronts are still on there. i race enduros in jersey and its all sand. i was completely shocked at how long they lasted

I go through rear pads pretty quick as well. It depends on the mud. I ride where it is silty top soil with sand and it eats every brand alive (Erst coast Canada). I get about 2 months (3 ride a week average) out of a set of sintered. OEM wear the best but EBC and SBS full metallic are good. The ones from Pit Posse (Ebay) are actually as good as most I have tried and are half the price (stay away from the red EBC ones though - I went through those in 2 weeks). I wish the brake companies would put dual acting pistons on for more pad clearance (they could take a lesson from mountain bikes here). Hope that helps.

When dry they last for 100+ hours. As fast as it´s wet they can be grinded down in a matter of minutes.

If you do a lot of "wet" riding, I would suggest a solid rotor (without cooling holes).

JCM-M051-1404.jpg

I would say something is wrong with your caliper/rotors or you got brand of pads... my ebc ones get me through a full season of mx.

but the down side to them is that they can get hotter, then boil brake fluid and then brake going through the woods haha, i never had this happene but it seems like it could happen easier with the soloid rotors.

but the down side to them is that they can get hotter, then boil brake fluid and then brake going through the woods haha, i never had this happene but it seems like it could happen easier with the soloid rotors.

Only if you continously run at very high speeds.

i'd say it's time to look at a new rear brake rotor, i know mine is almost shot at 82 hours, with a good condition rotor i normaly get around 15 hour of mx or 20ish hours of high speed offroad riding, i'd guess i'd get about 50ish if i were to ride nothing but single track for the entire life of the pads.

i use bendix MOR (sintered) compound pads, best i have used for wear and tear are toshiba pads in my KTM, however i'm yet to find anywhere that sells them for nissin clalipers, i got 220 fast offroad hour out of the front, and 140 out of the rear on my ktm 300 with these.

Ok guys thanks for the replys. I'm going to try a differant brand of pads this week and see what happens then. Although the goldfren sintered pads i am using i used in my last bike (rmz) with a good amount of wear out of them.

How do you check if your rotors are no good. There not warped and theres no lip on them.

Can the surface of them just become rough or something?

They can "glaze" from baking in oil and such.

Clean them regularly with brake cleaner.

If you want to you can bead blast the gripping surface, or just go crazy on them with steel wool.

They can "glaze" from baking in oil and such.

Clean them regularly with brake cleaner.

If you want to you can bead blast the gripping surface, or just go crazy on them with steel wool.

I got a bead blast machine at work. I'll give that a go cheers.

On wave rotors, my pads last like 20 hours in all mud, sand and water I ride in... Even less sometimes. They are wet 100% of the time...

I've been to my local mx dealer today for some new rear pads and told him what happend

to the last set i put in a week earlier. He has give me some differant pads with alot harder compound.

There still sintered pads but look alot darker more grey. The pads i usually use are like a peachy colour.

I'll give these ago sunday and tell you how i get on. I've also cleaned up my rotor today only with wire wool as i have not had time to get it in the bead blaster at work.