Sign in to follow this  

Valve cover for an 88' XR600R + Cam advice

Hey all, I've been rebuilding my 1988 XR600R's motor. The cam and rockers are worn. The Nikasil Barrel, piston, bottom end and head are all fine. I was planning on replacing the valve seats and putting in a new cam and rockers. I also found out I need a new valve/rocker cover. I've been trawling the net for an 88-91 XR600R valve cover and have been unsuccessful. Does anyone know which ones will bolt up? Do the XR650L's work? How about later model XR600R's? I know The XL's and pre 88 XR600 valve covers won't work directly due to rocker placement. I don't want to spend $200 on a new valve cover from Honda if at all possible.

I've also been looking around for a cam to use. Does anyone have the stage 1 hotcam? I don't really need the extra power, but they're significantly cheaper than OEM. How bad is the starting? My brother has an old Yamaha SR500 which is a 9.0 compression single w/o the autodecompressor, and starting it definitely takes some effort and practice. I don't want to be unable to start it up after I fall off on a hill climb or something.

What is the issue with the valve cover that requires replacement? One area that does wear is the center cam journal. However, it is usually the head that wears wears and not the corresponding area on the valve cover.

Got any photos?

It's got a crack around the left side exhaust rocker. I don't have any photos on me. The engine is 15 miles away. Suffice to say it's out of JB weld spec, and I don't want to weld it.

I also found out I need a new valve/rocker cover. I've been trawling the net for an 88-91 XR600R valve cover and have been unsuccessful.

1.)Does anyone know which ones will bolt up?

2.) Do the XR650L's work?

3.) I know The XL's and pre 88 XR600 valve covers won't work directly due to rocker placement.

4.) Does anyone have the stage 1 hotcam? I don't really need the extra power, but they're significantly cheaper than OEM.

5.) How bad is the starting? My brother has an old Yamaha SR500 which is a 9.0 compression single w/o the autodecompressor, and starting it definitely takes some effort and practice. I don't want to be unable to start it up after I fall off on a hill climb or something.

1.) 1988-2000 XR600 head covers all interchange.

2.) Yes, but they are not equipped with a manual compression release.

3.) The center cam bearing journal is also in a different place with '83-87 engines. Don't hold me to this, but I think XL600R head covers(ones without the center cam bearing, anyway) will work if you use the '88+ rockers.

4.) I do. :thumbsup:

5.) My bike starts with one kick when it's warm and rarely more than three if it hasn't been run in several days or more. Someone removed the compression release/kickback mechanism from my stock cam, so adding the Hot Cam didn't affect my starting technique. Just be sure to use the starting drill and don't give it any throttle when kicking. The Hot Cam is also supposed to be used with stock rockers and valve springs.

Ah, thanks for the prompt replies! I will start saving my pennies for the rebuild and hunt ebay for xr600r valve covers. I think I will go with the hotcam too.

I have an 88 XR600 cover,complete with rockers and lifters that is in great shape. $90 plus shipping from Ontario Canada.

Pete (XLRAT)

Pete, are you still selling that valve cover? I want to buy it.

Justin

Pm Sent.

Justin:

Sure I'll still sell it. Give me the address that you want me to sent it to. How do you want it shipped Canada post would probably be the cheapest. If you have a chance during the day give me a call1-800-663-9003 or evening 905-335-0314.

Pete

Hey guys, tech forums are not the place to be conducting sales.

Sorry about that.