Sign in to follow this  

Cutting trails for extra money?

I've been cutting my own trails since I was a kid and needed more running room for my 3 wheeler. I really enjoy the work and the satisfaction of making a cool trail to ride on. I was thinking last week that it might be a cool way to make extra money on the side. Maybe just cut a few a year for people's personal use.

Do you think this is a dumbass idea. I see lots of people offer track building services, but not all of us need a track, some just want 2 mi of trail carved in a 20 acre plot.

What would be a fair price. I would think you would want to charge by the job. Like $250/mi??

Thoughts?

I've been cutting my own trails since I was a kid and needed more running room for my 3 wheeler. I really enjoy the work and the satisfaction of making a cool trail to ride on. I was thinking last week that it might be a cool way to make extra money on the side. Maybe just cut a few a year for people's personal use.

Do you think this is a dumbass idea. I see lots of people offer track building services, but not all of us need a track, some just want 2 mi of trail carved in a 20 acre plot.

What would be a fair price. I would think you would want to charge by the job. Like $250/mi??

Thoughts?

$250/mile sounds awfully cheap to me. I don't know how long it takes you to cut trail but around my cottage it would take all summer long to cut that much trail. I'd sure pay you $250 and I probably throw in a $250 tip!!!

$250/mile sounds awfully cheap to me. I don't know how long it takes you to cut trail but around my cottage it would take all summer long to cut that much trail. I'd sure pay you $250 and I probably throw in a $250 tip!!!

^^ +1 Trying to fly over here and cut something for me? I'll give you the $250. :thumbsup:

Seems like a good idea, as long as someone is willing to pay of course. Just try and find someone who is interested first and then go from there about pricing.

Maybe I should have stated that the $250 was just a sample number. :thumbsup: didn't mean to get everyone so excited. :ride:

maybe I should post up something on Craigslist..Or maybe put up a sign at the dealership here in town.

I think you would need to make sure where youre cutting them... dont want to make trails on land that belongs to someone else or the government.

I think you would need to make sure where youre cutting them... dont want to make trails on land that belongs to someone else or the government.

Agreed. I guess I would have to take the homeowners word for that. Sure not gonna higher out for a boundary survey to be done.

Agreed. I guess I would have to take the homeowners word for that. Sure not gonna higher out for a boundary survey to be done.

You'd need them to sign a paper stating they know the land belongs to them and give you permission to cut the trails. Could get ugly if you go based off just words.

Sounds like a good idea though. I've been wanting to make some new ones and toss a few small jumps in, lotsa work just using hand tools.

and 250$ a mile is DIRT cheap. how long do you think it would take you to cut a nice trail a mile long? I would say 3-4 days at least... that comes out to like 50$ per day, that barely covers gas and food.

1000$ a mile is more like it :thumbsup:

I think it may honestly come down to one of those "I love to do this for myself/spare time, but as a business/for strangers I may completely hate it."

I think it may honestly come down to one of those "I love to do this for myself/spare time, but as a business/for strangers I may completely hate it."

You may very well be correct.

Depending on the terrain, let's say minimal underbrush, you might be able to cut 1 or 2 miles a day. Thick underbrush, briars, etc..could take a week to cut a mile. I used to work for a surveying company. 3 of us cut a path 25' wide for the park service. We averaged 1 mile a week on the rough stuff.

You may very well be correct.

Depending on the terrain, let's say minimal underbrush, you might be able to cut 1 or 2 miles a day. Thick underbrush, briars, etc..could take a week to cut a mile. I used to work for a surveying company. 3 of us cut a path 25' wide for the park service. We averaged 1 mile a week on the rough stuff.

ZW; I think you just answered your own question. Three of you working full time for a week and getting through 1 mile! Obviously, you'd have to see the terrain and then quote from there. I also surveyed when I was just a young Grasshopper, and all I did was sightlines - doing a couple of hundred yards in heat and Mosguitoes was enough to make you want to say "Uncle". Still, if you made some extra squish by doing this, I say go for it. I'd sure pay someone to do it for me. :thumbsup:

Of course cutting a single track trail would be a whole lot cheaper than someone wanting a 20' wide swath cut, I would probably recommend they hire a dozer operator in that case..lol

when doing trail work it is common to charge by the foot....mark it off in 100' sections and charge accordingly...obviously it would cost less per foot if you were just going through some tall grass than going through some small trees and blackberries..typically you should charge between $.45 up to about $1.35 per foot. that way it is easy to calculate and the prospective trail owner would know approx what it will cost when you are done, hope this helps