Sign in to follow this  

Installing new Fork Springs - '10 CRF250R

I just got a new set of Fact Conn 0.46 kg/mm springs for my 2010 CRF250R. I have a service manual and the owners manual, both of which go over the install. I also have a 49 mm fork cap tool and the 36 mm octagon tool to remove the compression valve from the fork cap. I though some of you who have done this would have some tips though. I have done this before on a KTM XC-W open cartridge fork, but the spring is on top on that fork. This Showa fork has a closed cartridge and the spring on the bottom. With the KTM, I did not have to change the oil in the process. With this Honda I imagine I will have to since I think I will need to drain the oil to swap the springs. Maybe I am wrong...

Is it possible to just remove the top cap, pill out the cartridge and the spring and replace it without draining? I am thinking that I will have to remove the bottom center nut to free the cartridge rod so this won't work.

Maybe this way will work: Go at it from the bottom, keeping the fork upside down (removed from Triple Clamp of course) and take out the spring but don't remove the top cap so that the oil is not drained out. I don't mind draining the oil if I have to, it is just that the bike only has about 4.5 hrs on it so it really doesn't need it if I can get around that.

Thanks for any ideas and experience you can share. I imagine this is not too different from other closed-cartridge forks out there. I have read in MXA that the internals of this new '10 CRF250R Showa fork are Kayaba-style. And furthermore, the shock is a clone of the KYB unit on the '09 CRF450R. The forks are similar too, but longer by a bit to help out the rear-end high stance on the '09 450.

You do need to drain the outer chamber oil. Remove the fork cap, drain oil, remove bottom bolt, you need to make a holder if you don't have one, a 14mm open end wrench works good, compress the spring, stick the holder tool on the bottom of cartridge, careful not to damage coating, remove bottom bolt, slide cartridge out top, and replace spring. It's all in the owners manual.

it prob wouldn't be a bad thing to change the oil anyway as if it's original oil from the factory it's prob not great quality anyway. Also it'd be good to remove any debris in the oil from the break in process!!

it prob wouldn't be a bad thing to change the oil anyway as if it's original oil from the factory it's prob not great quality anyway. Also it'd be good to remove any debris in the oil from the break in process!!

Excellent reccommendation! Use a good quality synthetic from Torcco, Race Tech or something of that magnitude. It makes a huge difference. Get rid of that stock crap they put in it. You'll be surprised!

Excellent reccommendation! Use a good quality synthetic from Torcco, Race Tech or something of that magnitude. It makes a huge difference. Get rid of that stock crap they put in it. You'll be surprised!

Here here!! When I bought my 07 brand new and took it home from the show room the first thing I did was rebuild the suspension, front and back. Yes, the factor stuff sucks because of the amount of air bubbles it creates. You'll be much happier with the synthetic oils.

From what I have read it seems Honda developed 2 new suspension fluids, SS-19 and SS-25, for use on the 2010 CRF250R fork and shock and I have been trying to find it for sale online without any luck. It is said to retail for about $15.95/qt so it is not too awfully pricey. This link is where I read about it...

http://blogs.dirtrider.com/6597329/industry-buzz/honda-introduces-new-high-performance-pro-honda-fork-and-shock-oils/index.html

Those of you who ride the 2010, do you think this is the best fork oil for me to use or should I get some other high quality fluid, and for that matter, what weight is correct? Race Tech lists their fluid at 3.5-5W I think, but they only use one type across all forks.

I use "SILKOLENE RACE SUSPENSION OIL - 2.5 WT" however, I'm old and slow (compared to my earlier years....) Therefore, I have to set my bike up for more "cuuussshhhh".

SILKOLENE RACE SUSPENSION OIL makes a great oil however, the 2. WT might be to lite if you're a fast rider doing motocross. I mean, I'll blow through the stroke on large motocross jumps so I would assume for younger, faster riders the 2.5 would be too lite. GREAT for the woods though!!

FYI, hope that helps!

while your at it work out how much oil you need, if your not sure start off with less and inject more each time through the air bleed on top of the fork.

It's easier to put it in than get it out.