Sign in to follow this  

OEM packing for dual mufflers help please.

Hi, I'm usually over in the XR250 forum but I got the new Honda packing today for the CRF250R mufflers.

I've taken one of the mufflers apart (drill out the rivets on the header end and use a blow torch to warm up the sealer to open up the can). Here's the pictures of the old packing, what I'm curious about is there is a layer of interwoven material on the old packing that is stiched on; according to Honda parts fiche this piece isn't available seperatly, all I have is new Honda packing (3 pieces to each muffler).

Now do I remove this layer from the old packing and just wrap it around the new packing (take a while to unstich it!)? Or do I just put the new packing in as is? Should I use new tape or use the used stuff--what kind of tape can I use as a substitute? Recommendations for the sealer that I warmed up to get the can off?

DSCF5049.jpgDSCF5051.jpg

DSCF5046.jpgDSCF5050.jpg

DSCF5045.jpgDSCF4682-Copy.jpg

just use the packing as is, dont worry about the stiched stuff, as for the tape you can just use regular masking tape, all the tape dose is hold it so you can stuff it in the can, once the packing is in the can the tape is now useless, last pic really caught me off gaurd!!!

For the sealant go to Auto Zone or something and buy some hi-temp silicone sealer. I use Ultra-Black by Permatex. Seems to work good. And I also grind down the old stuff a little so its easier to get it back together.