overpatroling?

This sunday, a few of my friend's and I went out on a riding trip:ride:... It'd didn't turn out too great for a few reasons:bonk:... first off, I couldn't get my "real" (250 smoker) bike registered in time, so I had to ride one of my crappy china bikes:foul:... second, It was right after a nasty storm, so there were trees down up the ying gang:banghead:... third... the trails were either flooded, frozen, or WICKED muddy:lame:... and lastly, TOO MANY COPS!!!!!!

Police you ask? It was funday sunday after all... why should there be trail enforcement out on sunday? Answer; The officer in question wasn't assigned to the trail.... he was parked at a speed trap across the street... My whole camp was out a few miles out, helping some guys clear the trees out of the trail... well, It was freezing out, and we were getting a bit bored... sooo, one of my good friends decided to head out to the parking lot just for the sake of riding the mile and a half or so of unobstructed trail. About an hour later, my other friend got a call "there stopping everybody in the ? parking lot dude... and my registration's in your :ride: wallet...." luckily, someone in the lot was cool enough to run out for jay's wallet...

My friend was issued a $175 citation for what? answer; TURNING AROUND!!!!!!?

my friend came out of the trail, going well under the speed limit, and turned around (you could see the perfectly formed tracks in the snow, he couldnt have been going more than 15-20mph in the 25mph trail merge zone) Just then, a crown vic pulled in right behind him with the blues on... he was busted for "reckless riding in an ohrv area" why? who knows... he and several other riders (basically everyone with a bike or quad running) was PO'd and one or two were ticketed for various things...

The cool- when we came back around, he more or less left us alone

The uncool- The cop was not too interested in anything we had to say about the deal... even though we were all legal, with current registrations, valid NH OHRV tags, forest legal bikes/quads, and licences on hand... and plus, it would have been pretty easy to investigate weather he had been "doing doughnuts" in the parking lot...

so here's my question... WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE OVERPATROLING? There should have been no problem with what we were doing on what is, by the way, a completely legal OHRV trail, not near any settlements, or anyone else to bother... The cop wasnt even one of the green police, who are assigned to the trail... he was a PD cop, what's the deal with that?

BTW- no disrespect to any branch of law enforcement, cool officers rock, and really keep the general public safe....

these scum bag cops have wrecked this country

how come when I go out riding (all legal of course)

it's not the tweakers or criminals I'm worried about it's the cops ?

I cant even go out anymore with out getting harassed and ticketed for no reason

family's go out and try to have a good time together guess what their harassed and ticketed, for simply trying to have a good time

this is not the way america is supposed to be

"let me see your papers"

sound familiar?

these scum bag cops have wrecked this country

how come when I go out riding (all legal of course)

it's not the tweakers or criminals I'm worried about it's the cops ?

I cant even go out anymore with out getting harassed and ticketed for no reason

family's go out and try to have a good time together guess what their harassed and ticketed, for simply trying to have a good time

this is not the way america is supposed to be

"let me see your papers"

sound familiar?

It makes collecting revenue much easier. Law biding families are much safer and easier to extract money from. They actually have something that can be taken. Criminals fight back, and usually don't have anything of value. Law enforcement is a croc when there are no priorities, or they are just fubar.

It's makes collecting revenue much easier. Law biding families are much safer and easier to extract money from. They actually have something that can be taken. Criminals fight back, and usually don't have anything of value. Law enforcement is a croc when there are no priorities.

god it makes me so mad

I follow the law, do everything right, I'm nice to people.

and when I'm harassed for no reason other than them wanting my hard earned money, really gets me steamed.

or seeing a nice family pulled over while their "inspected"

my friends car was stolen by tweakers he knew who did it

he found where his car was, guess what the cops saids there's nothing they can do about it.

god it makes me so mad

I follow the law, do everything right, I'm nice to people.

and when I'm harassed for no reason other than them wanting my hard earned money, really gets me steamed.

or seeing a nice family pulled over while their "inspected"

my friends car was stolen by tweakers he knew who did it

he found where his car was, guess what the cops saids there's nothing they can do about it.

"inspected" sounds kinda like the nazis

"there's nothing they can do about it" .....except charge you for your call:p

I know your pain, i went to the sand dunes two weeks ago in cali "gordens well" and leo was writing tickets at all of the popular areas, the sand drags,camping areas,and the comp hills these are the easy tickets for them to write. I agree that leo is looking for the people with the means to pay the fines and not the criminals. This is the first time i've have seen them out with such force, it would have been cool to issue some sort of warning but hundreds of rides got citations that weekend.i guess the govenator needs the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Ride on.

I know your pain, i went to the sand dunes two weeks ago in cali "gordens well" and leo was writing tickets at all of the popular areas, the sand drags,camping areas,and the comp hills these are the easy tickets for them to write. I agree that leo is looking for the people with the means to pay the fines and not the criminals. This is the first time i've have seen them out with such force, it would have been cool to issue some sort of warning but hundreds of rides got citations that weekend.i guess the govenator needs the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Ride on.

omg I went to the sand dunes once, we just pulled in the parking lot and this cop starting yelling at us that we didn't pay and was going to give us a ticket. we were filling out the pay stub at that moment, I told him that the sign says we have 15 minutes from the time we pull in to pay (he seen us pull in)

holy crap it made him so mad I thought he was going to taze us so we left

and I never went back ?

IMHO, you need to fight tickets like that, and write a formal (and well-written) complaint to whatever the jurisdiction is that the cop works for (town council, county commission, blm office, whatever). If guys like that get away with it, they'll just keep doing it, and keep giving the majority of decent cops a bad name.

I work for a law enforcment agency, and these type of complaints do often get followed up, especially when they are numerous, and the complainers aren't dirtbag felons. ?

IMHO, you need to fight tickets like that, and write a formal (and well-written) complaint to whatever the jurisdiction is that the cop works for (town council, county commission, blm office, whatever). If guys like that get away with it, they'll just keep doing it, and keep giving the majority of decent cops a bad name.

I work for a law enforcment agency, and these type of complaints do often get followed up, especially when they are numerous, and the complainers aren't dirtbag felons. ?

I should try and complain

I'm scared to ask a cop for his name though

that sounds like an invitation for a tazing

I should try and complain

I'm scared to ask a cop for his name though

that sounds like an invitation for a tazing

I hear ya, especially if you're 20, with long hair.

Even at my age (48, and clean-cut, and polite) i would try to just read the name off his nametag or from the ticket. Failing that, get the badge number, or number of the patrol vehicle.

I think it's probably wise to avoid antagonizing someone who's acting like a bully and probably already having a bad day. Better to let his supervisor antagonize him when you're not around. ?

I hear ya, especially if you're 20, with long hair.

Even at my age (48, and clean-cut, and polite) i would try to just read the name off his nametag or from the ticket. Failing that, get the badge number, or number of the patrol vehicle.

I think it's probably wise to avoid antagonizing someone who's acting like a bully and probably already having a bad day. Better to let his supervisor antagonize him when you're not around. :ride:

thanks ? thats good advice

I'm glad there's still good cops out there and I've met other good ones too

thats actually care about helping and protecting people

I know it's not fair for them to get grouped with the bad ones

I have an 8mb micro SD card in my cell phone. While I haven't had to use it, should I get pulled over, it can record over an hour of sound. You can bet I'll activate it for my own protection, should I get pulled over. I'm not expecting a beat down, but I see no downside to having the conversation on file should I ever need it. Most cops are just doing their jobs. Some love the power they have and abuse it.

The key is to never argue with a cop. That's what court is for. The better approach is to say little and be especially calm, even if the guy is a complete ass.