Sign in to follow this  

GPS Speedo options?

I have a 95' XR600 that I mainly ride on the street now and I've got a trailtech endurance on it. I'm looking for something a little more user friendly with less clutter to replace it. When I'm riding home at night in 30 degree weather with thick gloves on it's hard to reach up and hit the tiny button to turn on the backlight. I just put a upside down CR front end on the bike and I was wondering if I should just buy a GPS that I can mount on the bars and avoid the cable that runs to the wheel. Maybe there is a nice unit that is easy to turn the backlight on? All I really need to see is speed and time.

I could do something like that but I'm not running a system with a battery. I've been thinking about dropping the cash for a dual sport kit but I'm not quite there just yet.

I could do something like that but I'm not running a system with a battery. I've been thinking about dropping the cash for a dual sport kit but I'm not quite there just yet.

I've got a TomTom2, similar to Bbasso's unit (newer version) and I run it strictly off it's own battery. I've run it for 4+ hours without it dieing. Charge it up for a couple of hours and your good to go again. :thumbsup::ride:

I've got mine mounted on the left handlebar using the RAM mount it came with, rock steady, no vibrations issues and it hasn't broken off ... yet.

I use my Garmin C-Trex Vista. It works well for me, I can operate it with gloves on while riding, scroll thru the options, cycle screens, etc and it has an easily adjustable brightness for the back lighting. Being it provides current speed, top speed, direction of travel, elevation, etc and then a quick push of a button for a color map if I need it, it's perfect for my own uses. Waterproof, impact resistant, and to me very user friendly. Also takes Micro SD cards so I can change the map software around and have found MapSource to work well for most of my needs.

The downside is that it's got a couple second lag in real time response to current speed. Riding conservatively on the street when I do it, I've been able to work around this. Also you get a "feel" of how fast you're going in what gear pretty quick so it's easy to get "close" and then move up or down to whatever speed you want to hold.

Works for me, and it was cheap cause I already owned it.

The TomTom in the car runs for 3 hours on its own battery and suffers the 2 to 3 second lag in real time speed as well. I don't know how well other TomTom's perform in their speed adjustments.

Hope this helps.