Sign in to follow this  

interesting incident

ok little background. i ride my 05 450x on the street about 8-10 hrs a week. every few weeks i ride for 4-5 hours in the desert but not wfo. I just changed my oil last week and the oil filter was changed 3 weeks prior to that with the oil. I started my bike today. it was pretty low on gas but i let it idle to warm up for two minutes and then i could hear it running out of gas. i went to start it again and smoke started coming out of the airbox. i killed the engine. started it again and the same thing. I let it sit for a couple minutes and it stopped. I assume i was just burning off oil but can anybody think of something else that could be goin on with it. sorry if the explanation isn't that good.

you should verify where the smoke is coming from. As in open the airbox door and see if its coming from the filter or somewhere else. I suspect that potentially your melting plastic or something on your exhaust side.

If it is smoking from the airbox, remove the airfilter and start again to see what happens.

Most of the time, burning oil would come out the muffler, not the airbox. Did you re-route your breather hose into the airbox? Maybe you over-filled your engine oil? When you don't change the oil filter, it takes slightly less oil.

I'd start with dakynz's advice.