Sign in to follow this  

1995 KX 125 front caliper question...

Hey Guys,

Recently acquired a '95 KX 125 and in the process of getting everything up to par for this years riding season.

One major issue that is holding me up is my front brake caliper acts as if the piston is not retracting all the way after letting off the brakes. I can notice when pushing or riding the bike that the front brake is slightly engadged.

I have taken the caliper apart (pulled the slider pin that stabilizes the pads is as far as I went), cleaned dirt and crap out, greased the slider pins for the pads, reassembled and bled the brake.

After that the brake still acted as if it was "sticking". My next step was to completely disassemble the caliper and grease the caliper slider pins which is where my question is.

I notice that these caliper pins have rubber boots along with what looks like rubber caps holding them in (assuming I am looking in the right place)? Am I suppose to remove the rubber looking cap? After doing so, will those slider pins be accessable?

Also was thinking about lubing or replacing the 2 seals in each caliper piston while I am in there. Anyone know how those pistons pull/twist out? Any special tool needed to do so?

I know the best thing to do is purchase a service manual for the bike but finances are not allowing it at this time (trust me, it is at the top of my list!!)

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

sure, I think. There are two sets of pins. One set that the pads slide on, and one set that the caliper slides on so that it can move towards/away from the mounting bracket as the pads wear.

If you remove the pads, and the pins for them, then pull the caliper away from the mounting plate, the caliper portion will side right off those pins. Then you can clean and lube them, and re-assemble. You do not need to "remove" the pins really. Just slide the caliper off them. Might take some effort if it hasn't been apart in a while....

Awesome Juliend...I really appreciate the input!! I was looking at the exploded view on the parts website and thought that may be the way but I didnt feel comfortable ripping the caliper in two and screwing up those rubber fittings/boots.

Thanks again!!

I also noticed that my brake line is wrapping UNDER the caliper...I dont think this is correct either and think I am getting air trapping in there.

I also noticed that my brake line is wrapping UNDER the caliper...I dont think this is correct either and think I am getting air trapping in there.

thats how mine is routed....

if you wanna get the pistons out you use forced air like a blow tool for your air compressor use a rubber tappered tip and it will push them out!