Sign in to follow this  

Anyone use an X2-9 Xtreme X2 Power AGM Battery in their XRLs?

I bought one from Batteries Plus last week to replace my original stock battery and found that the terminals are not the same and the stock battery cables won't mount to them w/o modifications. Has anyone here purchased this battery to use on their XRL and if so did you run into any fitment issues w/the cables/terminals? Another thing was the top middle section of the new battery was a bit higher than the stock one so I had to bend the top part of the holding bracket up a bit to be able to install it. I ended up reinstalling the stock one until I decide if I want to mod my cable connectors or buy a different set of cables.

Would like to hear from riders here who've installed it and if they had similar issues. Haven't had a chance to go back to the store and should have some time to do so tommorrow as I want to make certain I got the correct battery although it is what comes up for the XR650L on their site:

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/40574-X2--9-Xtreme-X2-Power-AGM-Battery/558-CC/4419-Motorcycle-Batteries/137242-Honda/XR650L.aspx

I'd really like to use this battery and do not want to spend double on a similar Oddessy (sp?) AGM battery and possibly have the same issue. I know it's a minor issue and I should probably just STFU and mod my existing cables to fit and ride but want to make sure before I grind, cut, bend and reshape my connectors, ruin them then have to buy a new set to ruin :thumbsup:.

As always, thanks in advance for any input!

I know that plenty of people have used the much smaller battery from the CRF450X. Pretty much any battery that fits will do. If you want to save some weight get one of the Lithium batteries that uses the cells from A123. They are much lighter than stock and have plenty of punch to turn over an L.

Thanks for the reply cleonard. Not really looking to lose weight, on the bike that is :lol: Just want to install a good, reliable battery that I don't have to worry about any acid leaks in the case of a puncture out on the trails nor have to worry about it running down easily out in the middle of BFE ya know. I had read some good things about Xtreme's AGM batteries and thought I'd give them a try. I looked up the equivalent from them for the CRf450x and it came up w/the same model battery :thumbsup: I'll take my stock battery in w/me tomorrow and see if BatteriesPlus has a different model of the same type available w/different terminals and if not I may keep it and mod my existing battery cables or see if I can find a used set somewhere and mod those. I saw only the positive cable under OEM parts here in the TT store and it was $25, wow. I would much rather spend the $50 (assuming the ground is the same cost) on something else for the bike. We'll see....

If anyone out there has any experience w/this battery or similar please feel free to chime in w/your thoughts or suggs.

Thanks and ride safe! :ride:

I have an Odyssey PC310 Battery in my XRL, and I did have to modify the cable ends and holder bracket. Not a big deal though, as the mods I did to the cable ends will still work with the OEM battery, as will the holder bracket. :thumbsup:

I have an Odyssey PC310 Battery in my XRL, and I did have to modify the cable ends and holder bracket. Not a big deal though, as the mods I did to the cable ends will still work with the OEM battery, as will the holder bracket. :thumbsup:

Hey there Old Dog. Thanks very much for the info! I haven't returned the battery yet cuz I really would like to make it work. I'm not a racer or looking to shave a few lbs off my pig so don't need to experiment w/rechargables or other types or move it to the airbox. If I want to get rid of a few pounds I'll just eat less for a lil while and lose it off my own damn fat arse :ride: I need to shed a few anyhow so...

I'll take a look at things this weekend and mod the cables and get that AGM puppy installed. So on your setup, did you have to grind some off the bottom edge of the positive connector and straighten out and/or cut off some of the ground connector? It looks like that's pretty much what I have to do to them and was just being a bit anal about screwing around w/perfectly fine cables and having to pay $50+ to replace them if I ruined 'em.

I'll post back with what I had to do, pics and how it works later.

Thanks guys!

I'll take a look at things this weekend and mod the cables and get that AGM puppy installed. So on your setup, did you have to grind some off the bottom edge of the positive connector and straighten out and/or cut off some of the ground connector? It looks like that's pretty much what I have to do to them and was just being a bit anal about screwing around w/perfectly fine cables and having to pay $50+ to replace them if I ruined 'em.

I'll post back with what I had to do, pics and how it works later.

Thanks guys!

If memory serves me correctly (it was a year ago, and I haven't had the battery cover off since), what I did was flatten out the connectors, I might have also cut a little bit of the flattened out part ... but I'm not sure. I also remember having to use some good steel washers on the new terminal bolts because the heads were smaller than on the ones used on the stock battery.

Modifying the retainer bracket was a little bit more work, as I had to cut a piece(s) off, but as I said it'll still hold in the stock battery if need be.

I've gotta pull the battery and put it on the charger soon anyways to get it ready for the start of riding season, so I'll try to get my azz in gear and do it today and tomorrow. I'll snap a few pics for you when I do it and post them up in this thread. :thumbsup:

Thanks Old Dog! :thumbsup: I'd appreciate the pics if you can get them, if too much trouble don't worry about it, you guys up there aren't yet out of winter's grasp so if you don't get to it no worries. I fig'd that I'd have to flatten out the conns on both and it looked like I'd have to shave some of the bottom edge of the positive one. Thanks for the tip on the bolts btw, I'll dig thru dad's treasure trove of goodies and grab some washers. I'll look at things tomorrow and see what I need to do and do it!

Well, this thread actually motivated me to get the battery out of the bike to get it ready to put on the charger.

I took some pics and will try to keep them in sequence showing the battery removal and the parts that were modded.

BattBox.jpg

This one shows everything connected to the battery. You'll notice that I had to put it in backwards so the + OEM battery cable would reach the + terminal on the Odyssey battery.

BattBox2.jpg

This one shows the modified battery retainer removed.

BattTerminals.jpg

Here you can see the modified battery cable ends hooked up to the battery terminals.

BattCableEnds.jpg

This is showing the cable ends again with the battery removed.

BattCableRouting.jpg

This one shows where the cables would be routed to connect to the terminals.

BattRetainer.jpg

These two pics are of the modified battery retainer with the section cut off of the middle.

BattRetainer2.jpg

I hope those pics help you obwan93001, they're a little blurry because my ancient Kodak Crapamatic digital camera doesn't have a Macro option on it (I should stop buying bike parts long enough to be able to afford a new camera). :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Old Dog! I didn't realize the Odyssey battery was so different from the stock one. The Xtreme X2-9 is shaped alot closer to the stock with slightly different terminals and approx 1/4" higher at the top where the top of the hold down bracket sits. After installation my pig fired right up and I even noticed the cranking was a bit more robust than w/the original stock battery. The new X2-9 even held it's orig charge from the store after sitting in the garage for almost 2 weeks and sitting on the store's shelf for unknown period of time. That is encouraging news as I'd read that these have to be kept on a tender or charged if not used for over a week. :thumbsup: Will give me a bit more confidence if I ever need the juice somewhere in BFE and good to know it will not leak if cracked or puctured fo' shizzle! If anyone is looking at an AGM type of battery for their pig I highly recommend this one for the quality and price, normally stocked at most BatteriesPlus stores and only cost me $78. OTD. That included a 10% off store coupon and 8.75% CA state tax for my county. Not a heck of alot more than a stock replacement and alot less than some of the other AGM batteries out there for our pigs.

Below are pics I took of the mod'd bracket, cable connectors and installed battery. Sorry, I kinda spaced and didn't take pics of the bracket and cables in their pre-mod conditions. Hope this can help someone out! Thanks again to Old Dog for the pics of his setup w/the Odyssey brand AGM battery! :ride: Ride safe everyone! :lol:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84888

(The mod'd bracket. Had to bend top part up then rebend down to fit.)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84889

(Pic 1 of the mod'd positive cable connector showing it flattened out.)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84890

(Pic 2 of the mod'd positive cable connector. Notice I had to cut off almost 1/8" off the bottom edge to make it fit.)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84891

(Pic 1 of the mod'd ground cable connector. Flattened out and reshaped to fit.)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84892

(Pic 2 of the mod'd ground cable connector. Had to file off about 1/16" off bottom edge to fit.)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84886

(Pic of installed battery showing connectors.)

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=84887

(Pic of finished battery installation.)