Sign in to follow this  

should i buy this bike?

ok so while surfing the local craigslist i found this. http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1621960935.html it seems to be kinda worn but it is still a 2000. we assume that the carb just needs a cleaning because it wont start after sitting alll winter. also he said the timing chain broke so he replaced it along with the piston and rings while he was at it. He said it ran fine after all the work was done all last summer. Im going to offer $500.

1)Is this bike worth it? like should i take the risk? what would you do?

2)what questions should i ask about it?

3)how much is it worth, and any other advice?

he has also replaced the chain and along with the timing chain he replaced the gear on the crankshaft and the gear on the head.

I'd say offer low, if you get it great. Good luck.:thumbsup:

He wont go any lower than $575. I'm thinking ill just get it, and it probably isn't starting because the gas is bad, now after sitting quite a few months the ethanol probably ruined it. So ill probably do a carb cleaning, and fuel lines, and change all the gas and oil and go from there.

Clean the pilot too with compressed air or get a new one.

ok so while surfing the local craigslist i found this. http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1621960935.html it seems to be kinda worn but it is still a 2000. we assume that the carb just needs a cleaning because it wont start after sitting alll winter. also he said the timing chain broke so he replaced it along with the piston and rings while he was at it. He said it ran fine after all the work was done all last summer. Im going to offer $500.

1)Is this bike worth it? like should i take the risk? what would you do?

2)what questions should i ask about it?

3)how much is it worth, and any other advice?

it's really tough to say without checking everything

I'd come down and look at it with you (in MA and also have a 2000 XR200R) if you weren't over 2 hours away...but if you pick it up, let's go for an XR200R ride!

just FYI: are you aware that the 2000 model has the shortest suspension travel and the front forks don't have drain plugs?