Sign in to follow this  

big bore ?

i have to have my cylinder replated anyways so now im thinking of having a bore job done.if i do it i will only go to 265cc.my questions are-

who out there has done this?

is it reliable like stock?

what size is the piston?(stock i kwow is 66.4)

are piston readily availible?

will i increase bottom end power?

is this something i should have someone like eric gore do, or is it alright to have the company thats going to plate the cylinder do it?

im sure im missing somethings but give all the info you have.

thanks

Kawie:ride:

bike is a 2000 kx250

Edited by kawie

Best bet is to call up someone who offers a 265 big bore kit and ask them what piston is used in the kit. Usually these kits use a piston for another make or model, and it should be readily available as long as you know what it is.

It's perfectly acceptable to have the company doing the plating do the big bore kit for you, so long as that company has experience with the kit you are installing.

this is more of a investagation into the big bore.im trying to find some facts before i jump in.i know i can get info by talking to said companies but it doesnt give real life results an facts.every company going to be the best an more reliable than the others :thumbsup:.so im just trying to get some real facts here first to make my descision on to do it or not.

Kawie

I think the 265 uses a wiseco piston that is 68.5mm and is the largest stock overbore they offer. As for just sending it to the plater with the piston you can do that and it will run real good but with a touch less topend and more bottomend. That would be the cheapest way to do it. You will also have to cut the powervalve back to clear the bigger piston.

I think KustomKraft will do that for you too. If you want porting KK may do that too. Eric and MaxPower will do the whole job for you. You may want to check Eric's sight, he alot of times has them predone cylinders and sells them in his yard sale or something like that. Good luck and have fun.

Ed

no1clyde thanks for the reply.if it just a loss on top thats fine but if its just flat that would be different.i like to trail ride,single track,fire roads ect an once in a while i like to play on mx tracks but nothing competive.how would i go about cuting the power valve is it easy or something thats hard to do.

thanks

Kawie

Send it to egorr for a 265cc and all your worries will be over. When I talked to him last week he had a two week turn around. I should be getting mine back here in a week or so.

I have ground off the powervalve on the round part ofa belt sander. I put it in the cyclinder and marked itthen ground it off. It is not all that easy but can be done, you also need to add some for clearance.

You should talk to Eric and see what he charges and he will port it the way you want. 3 or4 years ago he did a 310 cylinder for me and it runs very good to this day. I think the 265 wouldn't be all that much different from stock and should be easy to do and work out.

Ed

I needed to get my cylinder replated recently. At the recommendation of a friend I checked out Eric Gorr's site. He offers a combo for replating/porting/piston kit that had the best price I could find anywhere. Plus from everything I've heard/read he is the master of 2 stroke porting. The turnaround time was exactly what he said and he was great to deal with. I just got it back last week. Now the hard part..finding some time to put this thing back together and ride it! :thumbsup:

I would give Eric Gorr a call and see what he can do for you.

Edit: I kept the stock 250 size for whatever that's worth. The 265 kit was same price though. I just didn't see the need to go over. This bike has plenty of juice for me..