Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a silk screener - Reproduction seat cover

I'm restoring a 94 KX250 but cannot find an OEM seat for the life of me. It's down to 1) Call every Kawi dealership and see if one is on a shelf somewhere 2) Wait for one to pop-up on Ebay or 3) Get it made myself. So worse comes to worse I'm looking to find someone/company ahead of time that can do this.

I was lucky enough to find a used OEM cover that's in decent enough shape for reference, so I can send that out to you. CEET said they could make me a blank purple cover, so all I would need is the pink/white artwork done.

IMG_6776.jpg

That seat is from a '96. It will fit, but the "graphic" part is a little different.

My wife does silk screen printing. I would advise her away from a job like this because of the number of unknowns. 1st, you haven't indicated that you have a high resolution image of the artwork. The best Google could give me is http://vintagemx.com.au/wp-content/gallery/kawasaki-250-models/1994_kx250.jpg. 2nd, the alignment to the seat cover and between left and right images is critical, and nearly impossible to replicate without the cover being stretched over the foam. The OEM printing operation likely was a machine that printed at a set interval on a roll of material and then punched the cut profile. 3rd, the time investment in recreating this and the resulting cost are likely nowhere near what you're willing to pay.

If you seriously want to pursue this, consider doing it yourself. There are home silk screen kits available. Stretch and staple the cover, mark your alignment points for the graphics, remove the cover and print it, then recover the seat.

Or just keep searching ebay for a NOS cover.

My wife does silk screen printing. I would advise her away from a job like this because of the number of unknowns. 1st, you haven't indicated that you have a high resolution image of the artwork. The best Google could give me is http://vintagemx.com.au/wp-content/gallery/kawasaki-250-models/1994_kx250.jpg. 2nd, the alignment to the seat cover and between left and right images is critical, and nearly impossible to replicate without the cover being stretched over the foam. The OEM printing operation likely was a machine that printed at a set interval on a roll of material and then punched the cut profile. 3rd, the time investment in recreating this and the resulting cost are likely nowhere near what you're willing to pay.

If you seriously want to pursue this, consider doing it yourself. There are home silk screen kits available. Stretch and staple the cover, mark your alignment points for the graphics, remove the cover and print it, then recover the seat.

Or just keep searching ebay for a NOS cover.

Thanks for the input. But the idea is the screener makes their own artwork using the OEM cover I already have as a reference. It's not that big of a deal and the Kawasaki logo can be found anywhere.

BTW - I was/am willing to pay over $300 which was quoted to me by Guts Racing, that's not enough?

Take a look under the Honda XR250 forum here. I asked the same question there and there was a guy that was recommended. I havent bought anything yet so I cant reccomend him.But the prices were good.

Take a look under the Honda XR250 forum here. I asked the same question there and there was a guy that was recommended. I havent bought anything yet so I cant reccomend him.But the prices were good.

Cool, thanks. I sent them an email. :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks. I sent them an email. :thumbsup:

Hi Jeekinz, I could retire in a year if I was charging $300 for a cover, I find it incredulous that anyone would charge that much but I suppose they must use gold plated/kevlar reinforced thread for the stiching :) good job you found me :lol:

www.hondaxr250.com