Sign in to follow this  

Engine swap very nearly complete - what do I do with these bits???!!!

Guys,

My engine swap is very nearly finished, but I have a few things I am uncertain on how they go:

Where does this port on the engine oil catch tank go? I've connected the others up as they were before, and the hoses made it obvious. I don't actually recall a hose for this port and can't see any lying around.

normal_IMG00042-20100301-2144.jpg

Is this the correct way to run the magneto wiring?

normal_IMG00041-20100301-2144.jpg

What is this pipe for near the exhaust port? My E cylinder head does not have this pipe, nor is the block tapped out for it.

Can I buy a blanking plate for this or what shall I do about it!!?

normal_IMG00039-20100301-2032.jpg

What is this location for on the head? My old engine has a black plate bolted in to this location - do I need this component from my old head?

normal_IMG00038-20100301-2032.jpg

Thanks for all the help and support so far guys, this is my first motorbike engine swap so I appreciate the assistance, sorry for all the questions!

Cheers,

Con

there should be a hose connected this that goes over the air boot and down toward the ground.

normal_IMG00042-20100301-2144.jpg

no,you need to install the case saver and the wiring retianer that goe son the top bolt.

normal_IMG00041-20100301-2144.jpg

pair valve.needs a blanking plate.

normal_IMG00039-20100301-2032.jpg

the S/SM head isnt machined for the manual decomp.the E/K head is and just has a removeable plug.dont worry about it.

normal_IMG00038-20100301-2032.jpg

Thanks eddie, that's all clear apart from the magneto wiring, can you explain more or post a pic please?

Also the PAIR blanking plate, can I get an oem or do I need to get one from the states?

Is the case saver underneath the sprocket cover?

Unfortunately the PO must have lost both bits.

Anyone got a pic of the case saver itself?

Is the case saver underneath the sprocket cover?

Unfortunately the PO must have lost both bits.

Anyone got a pic of the case saver itself?

Case saver is a half moon shaped metal guard underneath the sprocket cover (it's a part of the cover).

Regarding your pair valve ,you can cut the pipe and seat a bolt in it (together with some rtv).

If you go for a blockoff plate for a gixxer, make shore you get the right one.

The last yrs gixxers use a big plate(total of 2) , not the small ones (one for each sylinder) which is the one you want

What year GSXR am I looking at? The parts guys will ask when I phone.

And what/where is the part?

Also Can i get an alternative for the case saver/sprocket cover? they are pricey even second hand.

The block off plates for the pair valve is not an oem part.

Here's what the plates for Hayabusa ->2008 looks like

dsblock.jpg

For the gixxers I'll guess the plates up to 1999 works, but I'm not shore if the size is exactly the same.

Guys I'm still stuck with the hose that goes over the airboot from the oil catch tank, I'm assuming this goes down with all the overflow hoses?

I have an overflow hose on my coolant overflow tank, which goes from the top of the coolant tank, over the airboot and down to the ground.

Can't see ANY hose in the garage at all - I guess the P/O lost it?

Any idea what the specification of the hose is and roughly how long it needs to be? I'll need to get one made up I guess.

Mine runs over the airbox and finishes just above the chain, so any drips of oil go where they might be useful! Its a soft hose not as stiff as a heater or petrol hose but anything will do providing it fits and isn't kinked.

Dan

Yes it is, I'll be out in the garage in a bit and will take a pic for you!

Here you go, its how I routed mine anyway:

DSCN2962.jpg

And from the otherside:

DSCN2963.jpg

The pipe you can see goes to the head but they are all the same quality, just a simple rubber hose. Did you notice how the kickstart carefully hides the ACCT in the photo!! Fret not the MCCT is on the bench and will be fitted this weekend! Trouble is this baby has been taking my spare time!

DSCN2964.jpg

dan

Edited by Devondan

definitely not got any hose like that lying around! I can only assume then that the P/O lost it.

I'll get some hose at the weekend.

Yes I read it thanks

I'll get the case saver part next time I can get over to the dealers.

But for the hose it makes sense just to get some from an auto shop.

It will work. It wont be a formed hose like OEM though. The OEM parts manuals are very helpful although they arent perfect at times. Example..The E model airbox boot does not have provisions for the breather i.e, no hole on top for fitting, but the pic shows differently however, the picture shows the hose going straight down to vent overboard..