Sign in to follow this  

Modification questions

Can i make the air box and GSX R exhaust mod without buying a dyno jet kit????

If i have to buy one and i d'ont, what will happen to the bike???

Thank's guy's

My bike is a 2009 DR 650!!!!!

Well, it's going to get awfully lean. If you don't want to buy the dyno jet kit, you could get some larger main jets and the KTM needle and go that route. You might need a pilot jet or two.

spend $60.00 ! and buy the dyno-jet kit. its the best way and it is cheap, will make your bike run great !

If you do not want to spring for the jet kit, you can do the GSXR can install ONLY and not be too lean. I did that very thing and adusted the fuel screw out for best idle, as described here by others. You need to do that either way as an 09' I've worked on recently was VERY LEAN, glowing head pipe, etc. from the factory. Best to take the time now and get it set up right or you will be chasing problems later on and not happy with the way it runs. I'd suggest you shim the fuel needle as instructed by MXROB and others here, you might be fine with that set up and not have to mess with jetting. That's the route I took and am happy.

If you do not want to spring for the jet kit, you can do the GSXR can install ONLY and not be too lean. I did that very thing and adusted the fuel screw out for best idle, as described here by others. You need to do that either way as an 09' I've worked on recently was VERY LEAN, glowing head pipe, etc. from the factory. Best to take the time now and get it set up right or you will be chasing problems later on and not happy with the way it runs. I'd suggest you shim the fuel needle as instructed by MXROB and others here, you might be fine with that set up and not have to mess with jetting. That's the route I took and am happy.

Thank's men....very helpful :thumbsup:

Should throw in also that the kit is not just to 'make it run well'. Your bike will gain a significant power increase in the low-mid range. It's silly not to do it

Can i make the air box and GSX R exhaust mod without buying a dyno jet kit????

If i have to buy one and i d'ont, what will happen to the bike???

Thank's guy's

My bike is a 2009 DR 650!!!!!

No. Without the much steeper taper of the DJ needle the air box mod will lean out your bike so much after 3/8 to 1/2 throttle it will be unrideable. Just remove your side cover for a test and try riding the bike. No amount of shimming will take care of the problem without causing issues at other throttle positions. The KTM needle is not a replacment for the DJ needle. It is mearly an improved needle for a stock air box. If you want to let your engine breathe you need the DJ kit.... or a mechanical slide carb. :thumbsup:

No. Without the much steeper taper of the DJ needle the air box mod will lean out your bike so much after 3/8 to 1/2 throttle it will be unrideable. Just remove your side cover for a test and try riding the bike. No amount of shimming will take care of the problem without causing issues at other throttle positions. The KTM needle is not a replacment for the DJ needle. It is mearly an improved needle for a stock air box. If you want to let your engine breathe you need the DJ kit.... or a mechanical slide carb. :ride:

Ok lets say i'm keeping the bike stock, and the only thing i do is shim the needle, will this be to rich?????? I guess i will have to make something to the air box to balance all this ????

And thank you everyone...you guys are really patient with guys like me!!!!!:thumbsup:

Ok lets say i'm keeping the bike stock, and the only thing i do is shim the needle, will this be to rich?????? I guess i will have to make something to the air box to balance all this ????

And thank you everyone...you guys are really patient with guys like me!!!!!:thumbsup:

Shim the needle and pull the snorkle.

The GSXR pipe will work with this combination but will only look and sound good. No extra performance over the stock pipe with a shimmed needle and de-snorkled.

Can i make the air box and GSX R exhaust mod without buying a dyno jet kit????...

Guess I don't understand why you don't want the Dynojet kit.

After the expense of the Muffler and midpipe, what's another $60?

Plus, THAT'S where the performance is realized.

I would order a Dynojet kit from Jesse at Kientech. He will personally go through the procedure with you and even tell you which jets to start with. Great guy.

You will NOT be disappointed. :thumbsup:

My 2¢

Guess I don't understand why you don't want the Dynojet kit.

After the expense of the Muffler and midpipe, what's another $60?

Plus, THAT'S where the performance is realized.

I would order a Dynojet kit from Jesse at Kientech. He will personally go through the procedure with you and even tell you which jets to start with. Great guy.

You will NOT be disappointed. :thumbsup:

My 2¢

Thank's buddy....but i didn't buy de pipe yet, thats why i'm asking you guys first. And i'm from Montreal Canada, so the 60$ for dyno jet in Canadian dollars with shipping and the customs duty turns out to be more than 100$.

Thank's for the suggestion :ride:

Well, we have a KTM dealer here in town, so, i could get the KTM needle and mail it to you .... the jets however, you would need to let me know what you want and i'd need to look around to see where i could get them for the cheapest price. PM me if need be,

Well, we have a KTM dealer here in town, so, i could get the KTM needle and mail it to you .... the jets however, you would need to let me know what you want and i'd need to look around to see where i could get them for the cheapest price. PM me if need be,

Thank's i will :thumbsup: