Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy a DR 650, KLR 600, KLX 650, XT 600E, or XT 660R?

Hi my name is Thumper9, I couldn't find where to introduce myself so I'll give some relevant background here.

I am 29, 5ft 6 (lol... *cries), 80kg, and have been riding bikes since I was 11.

My first bike was a DT 50, and I have had several others including an XR 125 and a KX250.

My skill is quite good, I can handle heavy bikes, but my legs are too short for the likes of a KTM or Yamaha WR.

I'm going for my full bike license in a couple of months.

I'm an 'offroader' at heart.

However I have been getting a bit confused at all the options that are open to me!

So I'm here to ask you for your help.

Should I go for a DR 650, KLR 600, KLX 650, XT 600E, or XT 660R?

Maximum price I can pay is £3000.

In order of (personal) importance:

1. Offroad capability.

2. Power.

3. Long distance touring capability.

4. Handling on road.

5. Good commuter.

I tried to go from Glasgow to Paris on my XR 125 three years ago and it blew up just south of Newcastle.

So I would like a bike that wouldn't do that again but would still be decent offroad because I love the trails and the 'Scottish mountain situation' I am just next to.

I loved the KX 250 but don't see myself going to France on one of those... also it was a bit too tall for me (especially since I was 5ft 2 at 15).

Thanks very much y'all your experience is much respected.

Cheers.

:thumbsup:

Hi Thumper9...

Offroad capability-KLX650...

Handling on road/Good commuter-XT660r...

Long distance touring capability-Africa Twin...:thumbsup:

Cheers

Ivan

Welcome to ThumperTalk!!

last time I checked, the DR650 was better off road and the KLX650 was better on the road the Yamaha fell in between. I personally like the DR better because it's air cooled so laying a heavy bike on it's side will not take out a radiator, or the mini fairing that the Kawasaki has.

Welcome to ThumperTalk!!

last time I checked, the DR650 was better off road and the KLX650 was better on the road the Yamaha fell in between. I personally like the DR better because it's air cooled so laying a heavy bike on it's side will not take out a radiator, or the mini fairing that the Kawasaki has.

I think you must be confusing the KLX650 with the KLR650.

Two completely different bikes. Different engines, frames, suspension, and mission.

For off road capability, in order, it goes something like this:

Honda XR650R - fully off road capable - think multi-Baja 1000 winner.

KLX650R - not street legal (in US). Similar in design to the XR650R - fully off road capable. Kick start only. Can be made street legal with light kit, etc. Not to many around in the US.

KLX650C - same as KLX650R, except its street legal (in US), has electric start, heavier then R, more road capable. Not to many around in the US.

XR650L - similar to KLX650C. I would say its a tie between which one works better in the dirt and on road.

DR650 - street legal, much more capable on the road vs above. Not too good off road.

KLR650 - basically a road bike that looks sort of like a dirt bike. Shares no parts with the KLX650.

If it was me, I'd go with either a XR650L, or KLX650C.

If you're really interested in the KLX650, check out this yahoo group that I started years ago: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KLX650/

Check the "Files" of the yahoo group, I uploaded a great comparison of the KLX, vs 650L, vs DR650 from Motorcycle.com (the review is not available onlin anymore). They picked the KLX650C as the best true dual sport.

If you can't find the review, and want it, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I have it saved on one of my computers.

I've since sold my KLX650R, but its a fun bike. -Ed

Beings that you're in the UK I don't know which bikes are legal there. Of the list provided and based on what's legal here, DR650SE. :thumbsup:

Of course the KLX650 is nice but typically old and full of miles. The XR650R would be the best but way illegal here for the road. :ride: