Sign in to follow this  

kx 65 questions

:banghead:i am in a position to trade a 2001 trx 90 quad for a 2002 monster energy kx 65 even. here is the quandry, i was looking for a crf 80 or klx 110 for my son to ride, hopefuly by the end of the summer, i wanted him on a kx 65. but now i have the oppertunity to get the kx for no money, i have large flat areas to get him started on a dirt bike. i have been warned about the kx that they have a good snap, is there any way to num it up a little , probably for a couple of rides till he gets the hang of it? he is about 5- 2 125 lbs. 9 years old and has been on a quad for about 3 years

search for the washer mod in the exhaust in the mini section. Did it on my daughters 65. I drilled the hole finally at 11/16". Made a big difference in the "hit".

My son just jumped from a TTR90 to a kx85 this past weekend. I too, was worried about the snap...but that worry is un-founded. He is still working on the clutch, but once he got going, he figured it out quick! Comes in and says ...man, this bike is FAST!

go for it!

search for the washer mod in the exhaust in the mini section. Did it on my daughters 65. I drilled the hole finally at 11/16". Made a big difference in the "hit".

Right. Insert a fender washer (with a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch hole in it) in the exhaust port flange and it will have no hit at all. You can then move up to a fender washer with a 3/4 inch hole and it will start tocome on the powerband.

My son just jumped from a TTR90 to a kx85 this past weekend. I too, was worried about the snap...but that worry is un-founded. He is still working on the clutch, but once he got going, he figured it out quick! Comes in and says ...man, this bike is FAST!

go for it!

My friends son went from a PW90 to a CR85 with no problems. He could barely touch ground last year but it is perfectly fine now. My dad always bought me bikes that were a little too big for me and I feel it made me a better rider and I was able to stay on the same bike for an extended period of time.

To the OP, just let him ride, he'll be ok, if he spent a good amount of time riding the 90. Kids grow so damn fast you'll just be chasing your tail modding it one way now, the other way later.