Sign in to follow this  

07 exhaust glowing red and wont run right

Ok here is the deal. I had my bike stop running atleast a year ago due from I assume the valves going out of spec. It just got harder and harder to start and then didn't want to run anymore. I ended up buying a ported head with aftermarket kibblewhite valves and ferrea retainers as well as a Web torque cam. This stuff was bought used from a member on here with 15-20 hours on the head according to the seller and I was sent the shims that were supposibly ran with this setup. I got the bike to start once after installing it all and ran for about 20 seconds then couldnt start anymore. I had been doing other things so wasn't worried about the bike so I never checked the shims after having this issue and let the bike sit.

Fast forward about a year, I decide to check the valve clearances and they are way off so I took all the measurements and ordered the new shims. I just put them all in and got the bike back together. I kicked it a few times and it fired up. I let it run on the choke for 10-15 seconds then turned the choke off and it idled down then died a few seconds later. I tried again letting it run on the choke longer (was somewhat hard to get to start also) and revved it on the choke, all seems well. After about another 15-20 seconds I turn the choke off again and it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. It has a steady idle, it just goes from running then dies.

Skip ahead, I try to get it started again and can't get it to start for life of me. It started a few times but just died quickly after so I gave up and quit for a while. I went back out to the garage 30 minutes later and it fired right up and I left it running on choke again.

This is where I really don't know what is going on. I stood next to the bike and noticed the exhaust (where it comes out of the head all the way up until it connects to the back half of the exhaust started glowing bright red so I quickly shut the bike off figuring something isn't right. It is pumping exhaust out both pipes very good when it is running so I don't see the exhaust being clogged some how causing the issue. So does anybody have any idea why this thing doesn't want to run right and the exhaust starts glowing bright red after about 20 seconds of running which I assume is part of the problem why it doesn't want to run off the choke also.

The only thing I could think of is it is running extremely lean for some reason causing the exhaust gas temps to sky rocket. I have the stock jetting in the carb that the bike came with, I don't really see this being a problem sitting there idling at say 1200rpm on the choke. I was told the stock jetting would be fine with this ported head and cam also so I really don't know what to think the problem may be.

The idle/running bit sounds like Pilot Jet clog issues.

The cherry red pipe is normal. Makes for a good trail cigarette lighter too!

This thing has never gotten red like that ever and neither has my friends who bought his at the same time I did, both brand new back in December of 2006. I could agree with you that the jet is clogged because I did forget to drain the carb and it sat with fuel in it for a good 6 months before I drained it one day. But the exhaust part is definitely not normal, it turns as red as the bike! It has never even remotely changed from the blackish brown color the pipe is while the bike is running must less sitting there idleing not even being ran hard.

Also kind of amusing when doing a search there are equal amounts of people that say it is normal and others saying it is absolutely not normal. But like I said, I rode this bike all the time as well as my friends and our exhausts have never done this. The only thing I could maybe agree is it is due to the cam or something causing the heat in the exhaust header, but I still dont see it being ok getting like it is especially since it never once has done this to me (had the bike for 3 years, hasn't been rode for 1 year though).

Here is a video click here

I also called my friend to ask him about it and his words " My bike has never did that and we rode those things at night before a bunch of times and would definitly have noticed that."

So does anyone think it is maybe due to this aftermarket cam, like maybe the overlap or something is fireing more in the exhaust instead of in the cylinder now? It also ran fine without the choke that last time when I did the video go figure. Maybe the jet cleared it self out, I rapped the throttle a few times, turned the idle down some and hit the throttle some more and it idled fine, but still got that glowing exhaust.

I mean dude that happens. if your just having it sit there idleing its gonna get red hot, once you start riding and get air flowing it stops glowing red. your bike could easily overheat by doing that too.. have you checked your coolant level? I would invest in a temperature sticker too for the cylinder head I have one and it is really helpful. And a good test to tell if your bike is running lean is if it backfires and pops alot on deceleration.. going down a grade works best (hill)

I haven't rode it anywhere yet so I don't know how it runs actually riding. The coolant is to the top, I check it. And like I said, having the bike sit in one place is nothing new/different and I have been riding for a long time and have never noticed this before, that is why it is so weird to me that people are saying it is normal. After my friend runs his sitting and watches the exhaust then that will tell the story to me unless someone else wants to start theirs and let it run on the stand for a a little over a minute and see what happens.

Just don't worry about it man its probably nothing, like i said i would not let it sit and idle that long. as soon as the top of your radiator starts to get warm your good to go.. and it only takes about 5 seconds for the pipe to get hot. the combustion temperature is about 180-200 degrees in there, the pipes gonna turn red. when you go riding stop, look down and i can almost guarentee your pipe will not be red because your bike will be cooler from riding then it would be idling.

Took the bike for a ride and all seemed to be fine. Like mentioned the pipe wasn't red while riding around or stopping briefly. That is so crazy I have never seen the pipe get red like that with it sitting for a prolonged amount of time.

The pipe glowing red is normal as stated earlier in the thread. Mine does it if I wait too long after start up. And yes it is a great trail side lighter..

I am curious about the comment on a lean condition if the bike backfires on deceleration. If I am off the gas my bike has almost always backfired. Even when it was new. My spark plug actually looks like it is running rich. Is the backfiring a true indication of a lean condition??.. Sorry dont mean to thread jack...........Oldskoo11

I dare you to touch it.

Wait, I DOUBLE dog dare you. :thumbsup:

LOL my nephew did just that. It was so hot it turned the tips of his fingers white. Kind of like a laser treatment. Granted he didnt leave his fingers there just kind of swatted it with the tips but the funny thing was it didnt really burn just got the top layer of skin.....I called him a crazy ****** for that one ...........................Oldskoo11

LOL my nephew did just that. It was so hot it turned the tips of his fingers white. Kind of like a laser treatment. Granted he didnt leave his fingers there just kind of swatted it with the tips but the funny thing was it didnt really burn just got the top layer of skin.....I called him a crazy ****** for that one ...........................Oldskoo11

Hahaha! When I was new to 4 strokes, I was trying to see if I should use the hotstart...I did. My leather textured hands screamed that loud and clear. Oh what a lesson. Live and learn. :thumbsup:

LOL My nephew was dumbfounded., Hes like **** that thing is glowing!!! Just couldnt believe that the pipe got that hot.... Funniest thing ever. Total classic move.....Oldskoo11

Took the bike for a ride and all seemed to be fine. Like mentioned the pipe wasn't red while riding around or stopping briefly. That is so crazy I have never seen the pipe get red like that with it sitting for a prolonged amount of time.

I feel you on this subject. I had been around a ton of four strokes in all states of repair, riding whatever. When I finally made the swith to my 250f in 2007 I only noticed the glowing pipe, which I had heard of but never seen a BRAND NEW one turn colors, because the power went out in our shop while I was idling the bike making adjutments. I too immediately freaked and starting calling folks. Glad everything turned out OK for you.

PS...Don't Smoke.