Sign in to follow this  

False neutral?

I recently bought a 2008 KTM 960 Enduro, with 2,800km's on the clock. I purchased it off the local KTM dealer, it was their boss's own enduro bike — so presumably it's been looked after in the few rides it's been on.

When shifting between 5th and 6th, I hit a false neutral more often than not, unless I deliberately and slowly shift with lots of force (and even then, i feel it slip out of fifth easily then slam into sixth with a noticeable clunk). All the other gears, including 1st -> 2nd shift perfectly smoothly with no force required.

There is still 12 months of warranty left, should I try to get it fixed? Or is this something I need to live with? I don't use 6th gear very often...

I wouldn't think this is serious, perhaps the clutch or the gears need some adjustments. I wouldn't be worried to much, but you should defiantly have it checked!

Don't worry at all, everyone I know including me that had a 690 had the same problem

Just a matter of running in the gearbox

It went away after the first 5k service or so, but in your case 6th is not used very often so it will take longer but in my case and a friends it went away and its great now, never hits neutral

In the begining I hit neutral also when shifting to 5th which made it really really anoying

That's great news! :thumbsup: Thanks guys, saved me a trip to the dealer (which is 200m down the road... getting lazy!)

If I were you, I'd mention it to the dealer anyway and keep a note of it....just in case it develops into a problem later. Might be worth putting it in writing.

2010 model? you would think a problem like this would be rectified, remember the japanese bike companies who would iron out problems with each release. well not KTM. it is still there. i will hold out hope that it goes away.

must say i am even trying to memorise what gear i am in so i remember to do a double up-shift from 5th to 6th.

if it doesnt go away after 10000Km i will look at removing 5th as the bike doesnt really need 6th.

has anyone else considered this?

removing 5th as the bike doesnt really need 6th.

has anyone else considered this?

sorry i meant removing 6th, heard it can be done, i have adapted and can feel when it hasnt gone into gear.

I have had a few scares at high speed when hitting neutral between 5th and 6th. A quick search on internet shows this is a common problem. I guess I just need to use more pressure during that gear change. Mine's an April 2011 build (with 600km only) so looks like KTM doesn't feel the need to fix this issue yet.

My 09 had the same problem, but at 500 miles I changed the oil to amsoil 60wt and shifts fine now. It has just a shade over 1000 miles now. I also dropped a tooth off of the countershaft sprocket which allows me to use the upper gears more.

My only problem has been the battery, it seems to loose power in a few days. Turns the bike over but not enough to fire it off. 10 mimutes on the charger and it's good for another week.