Sign in to follow this  

kdx top end

ok so i have a 01 kdx 220 and i was going to put a wiseco piston in because i heard the problems the stock ones have. so anyway this after noon i took my bike apart and got the old piston out. looks perfect. no scratches or cracks or anything.

so i saw there is a part number on the top of it so i looked it up and its a wiseco piston:banghead:

i did a compression test on it a few mounths ago and it was right at 150psi

so what do you think i should do? get a whole new compleate piston and rings? or just get rings and put it back together.?????????????????????????????????????????????????

i no that the piston that is in there can not have many hours cuz the guy that i bought it from did not ride it often.

right now im leaning towards just rings cuz of the money i would save i would get reeds or something. ??

also im sending my head to rb to get it milled.

thanks

If the piston looks perfect AND measures within spec for wear just get some rings and gaskets and stitch her back up. KDX's are pretty easy on top ends, that piston may last as long as you own the bike. 150 is on the low side of what I'd like to see. Hopefully new rings will sort that out. Deglaze your cylinder well so the new rings can seat. For nikisil cylinders you can do this with a scotchbrite pad and lots of elbow grease, or use a cylinder brush. Don't hone it!

in the manaual it says that 150 is the most it should be?????

what are you thoughts about replacing the wrist pin and the needle bearing?

If the piston looks perfect AND measures within spec for wear just get some rings and gaskets and stitch her back up. KDX's are pretty easy on top ends, that piston may last as long as you own the bike. 150 is on the low side of what I'd like to see. Hopefully new rings will sort that out. Deglaze your cylinder well so the new rings can seat. For nikisil cylinders you can do this with a scotchbrite pad and lots of elbow grease, or use a cylinder brush. Don't hone it!

what do you mean dont hone the cylinder? i have a ktm 200xc, would i hone it if needed? is honing worse then something else?

in the manaual it says that 150 is the most it should be?????

what are you thoughts about replacing the wrist pin and the needle bearing?

Good enough, I'm not familiar with the kdx220 specs off-hand. My 200 shows 190 as the upper end for compression.

As far as not honing, it is not advisable to hone a plated cylinder. If the plating is worn to the point of needing honed, it needs to be re-plated.