Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S Vs DR650

Greetings, I currently have a 2004 DRZ400S and am considering trading it for a 2001 DR650. The 400 dosnt have the highway legs I would like and was wondering about the differences between the two bikes

If you're looking for serious highway, I wouldn't do it.

Last summer I bought a KLR650 which most consider a better highway bike that the DR, and I just sold it last month.

For me anyway, I needed a real mile-eater. The compromise didn't do it for me.

650 is old school air cooled poorly suspended and heavy.

DRZ 400 can do everything it can do and more. Mine has stock motor piped and jetted and will kill a DR anywhere.

If you are looking for a highway cruiser you need a V Strom 650 , SV 650 or better. Those are twin cylinder bikes and built for the long haul.

I have to agree with everyone's sentiments. The DRZ IMHO is way better in a lot of way than a KLR. Air cooled, heavy..blah... That's why KLR are cheaper.80

I have an SV650S, you can do some miles on it. I did 680 in one day. Didn't quite walk right the next day. Usually, about two hundred miles is enough for me. If you want to do some miles, I would recommend a Honda VFR, or you can get a great deal on a 1200 Bandit. Heavy but bullet proof. Tons of accessories too.

Good Luck, let us know what you pickup.

I have to agree with everyone's sentiments. The DRZ IMHO is way better in a lot of way than a KLR. Air cooled, heavy..blah... That's why KLR are cheaper.80

A KLR is not a DR. The KLR is watercooled. I have my KLR for commuting - makes the DRZSM seem waaay more of a fun bike when youre used to a porker like the KLR every day. Good utilitarian use though.

Put some hiway gears on that Z, if you need some dirt time, carry an extra front sprocket. You can easily drop a couple teeth on the front sprocket and use the same chain. The Z has a wet clutch so a bit of slipping won't kill it if you don't change it over for a little bit dirt riding.

For Dual Sport the Z is the best IMHO, not that I'm an expert.............just opinionated!! :thumbsup:

A KLR is not a DR. The KLR is watercooled. I have my KLR for commuting - makes the DRZSM seem waaay more of a fun bike when youre used to a porker like the KLR every day. Good utilitarian use though.

I know a KLR is not a DR...whats your point?

Have you considered a BMW or one of the Bigger KTM's? I just don't see a substantial enough leap in highway comfort looking at a DR/KLR...

One other thought, a properly set up DRZ might work for you. Mine has the 3x3, JD jet kit, 19mm bar risers with renthal mcgrath bars, scotts steering dampner, spitfire mini windscreen, sm front fender, oversize pegs/shift lever, corbin saddle, IMS 4.0 tank, properly upgraded suspension, a turbo city luggage rack, zeta protector handguards. All in all its pretty descent up to 75mph for what is bottom line a dirt bike.:thumbsup:

i too have the same thought, but i would go with a vstrom over the DR, the dr isn't much different then a DRZ you still end up with wind buffeting on you and to me thats most of the problem, a vstrom1000 or "weestrom"650 is a great option for highway/commuting use with the possiblity of some light offroading!

I know a KLR is not a DR...whats your point?

You said that the KLR is aircooled like a DR, it is not, the KLR is watercooled. :thumbsup:

I have a KLR and a DRZ and they are totally different bikes. The KLR is great for adventure riding or riding to trails if they're fire roads or pretty tame. DRZ is great for other stuff. I'd only make the trade (and I'd go with a KLR over a DR) if you really plan on doing 200 mile days often.

You said that the KLR is aircooled like a DR, it is not, the KLR is watercooled. :thumbsup:

I know. I obviously made a mistake in saying the KLR is aircooled. If you were trying to correct me, I picked it up.. Saying a dr is not a klr is pretty obvious.

One other thought, a properly set up DRZ might work for you. Mine has the 3x3, JD jet kit, 19mm bar risers with renthal mcgrath bars, scotts steering dampner, spitfire mini windscreen, sm front fender, oversize pegs/shift lever, corbin saddle, IMS 4.0 tank, properly upgraded suspension, a turbo city luggage rack, zeta protector handguards. All in all its pretty descent up to 75mph for what is bottom line a dirt bike.:thumbsup:

all that sums up to the approx $ of a good used DR or KLR :ride:

all that sums up to the approx $ of a good used DR or KLR :thumbsup:

That's definitely true but I'm finding that splitting my time between two bikes is a difficulty that mormon men are familiar with.

Guys, to get the DRZ400 set for me would cost alot of money. And from what I am seeing here, the DR650 is no better in relation to suspension and power. I like my DRZ400, just when we are on the highway on way to trails, it is buzzing and straining at 65. Probably because im such a fat ass at 225. LOL

DR650, KLR650, DRZ400...all poor highway bikes, but the KL is certainly the best of these for highway.

I still subscribe to the school to get the right tool for the job - no such thing as a do it all - get many if you can! Yes, a DL650 does it all, but "all" in a very mediocre way.

Yes, a DL650 does it all, but "all" in a very mediocre way.

Love mine on the road, but use my DRZ in the dirt...

Everything "Dual Sport" is a compromise. Period. That being said, with the risk of pissing a few people off, here's my opinion. A DRZ is a better highway bike than a DR650 or KLR is as a dirt bike. Again, everything is a compromise...it's just less of a compromise to street a set up "S" or "E" than it is to try to ride a DR 650 or even more so, a 400 lb. KLR on single track trails.

But I have a DRZ, and my last bike was a KLR. The KLR is MUCH MORE of a highway bike. I actually put 1800 miles on my KLR in 3 days in the summer of '05, and it performed fantastically. Now, I think I should add that the bike had highway bars, and also had so much gear on the back seat that it was like a backrest. The only problem during the trip was I was so comfortable I almost fell asleep a few times.

But the DRZ, in my opinion, is a dirt bike that can handle a few minutes of highway. The KLR was a road bike that could handle a few minutes of dirt.

Tim