Sign in to follow this  

Fork mounted winch?

Has anyone ever installed a winch on the front of their bike?

The more I think about it, the more I am tempted to design a mounting bracket. There have been times when my wheels we so stuck in the muddy suction, it was everything I could do to get it out. A winch would have been priceless at that point. Just wondering.

The exercise I get dragging my bike sideways across the mud is good for me though. Without it, it would have been just another day of boring riding. (yes, it's sarcasm)

No, and I've never seen or even heard of one either. :thumbsup: What I can tell you though, is that I've had a few bikes stuck in the mud, and tried to pull them out with 3-wheelers and 4-wheelers, and it's not as easy as it seems. The LAST thing the bike want's to do is stand up straight and come out of the mud... lol

More often than not, I ended up falling off the bike and watching it fall over and get drug out on it's side, breaking levers in the process. What I'm getting at, is that pulling off the front of the bike doesn't always work as well as you might think it would.

wouldn't pulling on the bike the forks possibly bend them and the triple clamps? You'd need an electrical system if you have an mx bike too.

The battery would not handle the load.

Now a boat type with a hand crank and synthetic rope might be great.

cudda used one a few weeks ago...:lol:

...i have since installed a Moose Racing tugger straps front and rear. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wut u need is a lightweight(plastic w/ nylon rope) block & tackle setup...:lol:

...much easier to carry especally when u shud plan on using it infrequently :ride: and no need for electrical power...cud come in handy for a lot of different things.

i think they can be had at most sporting goods stores in the camping section.

:lol:

Edited by Kenzo

I saw a light weight pulley system the other day that is designed for snowmobiles when they get stuck.

I really didn't think of it for bikes until now..I'll check it out again.

That's my biggest fear of riding by myself,sliding off the down side and not being able to get 'miss piggy' back up to the trail.

Really good subject!

Dunno just me but when it gets to the point you are considering mounting a winch on the pig.....may as well just ride a 4 wheeler. Of course there was that time last year I was by myself and was affraid I was going to have to walk all night to make it back to the main road, i finally made it out.

Hmmmm

Captain Midnight's Mod number 514. I have a Harbor Freight 2,000lb winch. I put an aluminum plate between the fender and the triple tree. The winch can quick connect or disconnect from the plate. I have not used it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works.

Captain Midnight's Mod number 514./QUOTE]

[spam on] Captain,

Is there anything you haven't done???:thumbsup: [/spam off]

Manos

Captain Midnight's Mod number 514. I have a Harbor Freight 2,000lb winch. I put an aluminum plate between the fender and the triple tree. The winch can quick connect or disconnect from the plate. I have not used it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works.
Captain,

Is there anything you haven't done???:ride:

Manos

i figured he'd have a system that wud run off the countershaft(aka PTO shaft) like his cutoff wheel! :thumbsup::lol:

Picture or it didnt happen :thumbsup:

tugger straps are great!! ....... I also carry rope

tugger straps are great!! ....... I also carry rope

MSR tow strap... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i received my tuggers & tow straps on Friday installed/stowed them and the next day my buds brand new 2010 KTM 300 wus baptized sucking water throught the carb(KTM's airboxes ain't great)...the tow strap came in very handy :lol:

:ride:

I ride alone and I have been stuck in mud that, I almost could not get out of. I used some tree limbs and sticks, and made a contraption that got me out. It made me think of ropes and pulley ideas. The winch has 50 feet of cable, so it might get me back on the trail.

Picture or it didnt happen :lol:
Winch001.jpg

ya know...i've never seen a pic of Kyron... :thumbsup:

...so he must not exist. :ride:

Winch001.jpg

CM,

Would you mind posting some pics of your bike with all of the mods in place? I'm not being a smart@$$... I am genuinelly fascinated by some of the mods that you've mentioned. Maybe post up pics of the mods in your garage in your profile? If you have the time and energy, I'd be thankful (for what that's worth) :thumbsup:

Cheers:thumbsup:

ya know...i've never seen a pic of Kyron... :thumbsup:

...so he must not exist. :ride:

New rumor... Kryon's really just a ghost... I like it:lol: