Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke packing differences

I've been stealing the insulation from my attic, my heating bills have gone up but I'm saving on packing costs. Am I doing the right thing? :thumbsup:

Aside from the 4-stroke packing costing twice the $$$, no difference that I see.

It is functionally the same stuff. The 4 stroke packing material is supposed to be rated to a higher temp.

I think the fibers are a bit shorter with the 4T packing, that seems to be the only difference. I can't tell a difference in longevity or in performance.

I used 4T FMF packing in my FMF silencer for a few months last spring. Then switched to a stocker for the summer races. I Just repacked the FMF with the two stroke stuff. The 4T packing came out looking real good, probably didn't even need to be replaced yet.

Love that shorty up here in the Mt. St. Helens sand!

FYI i used FMF packing last year, and it was absolutely shot shot after a year. The packing that came with my silencer wasnt half as bad the first time i repacked it. I bought Lexx 2-Stroke Silencer Packing and it seemed like way better stuff. It was actually in thick layers, rather than the FMF stuff which reminded me of fiberglass insulation. Hopefully it holds up a little better.

I used 4T packing in my 125 shorty and it seemed a little louder than normal.I wonder if the 4T packing does not absorb the sound on a 2T as good.I am going to pack it with 2T packing this week to see if I can quiet it down a hair.And I agree that FMF packing does seem to blow out faster than other brands.So to answer the OP question yes the packing will work but might be a little louder though in my experience.On the plus side the 4T packing will last a little longer than the 2T regardless of manufacturer.

moose makes a nice cartridge packing, easy to install, and is consistant in density, lasts a season on my 2t. around 20.00.

moose makes a nice cartridge packing, easy to install, and is consistant in density, lasts a season on my 2t. around 20.00.

Where did you find this cartridge packing?

Where did you find this cartridge packing?
dennis kirk has it, and as i see so does the TT store, goes by silencer length.