Sign in to follow this  

Inexpensive 2 stroke mix

I purchase a used '99 300 from an old timer that swore by Golden Spectro, mixed 53:1 (12 oz bottle per 5 gallon). Bike runs good on it, only complaint is cost. I'm paying $8 per 5 gal with convenience of individual oil container, or I could save $1.80 per 5 gallon if I buy the Golden Spectro in bulk and meter out.

Question, if I switched to something less expensive like Yamalube 2-R, would it likely mix at the same rate as the Golden Spectro? If so, I would save $4.60 per 5 gallon. That is almost equivalent to 2 free gallons of gas. I don't ride that much yet if the 2-R will protect a 10 year old engine almost as good as Golden Spectro, then I would consider switching.

Thoughts?

I had good luck with Honda GN2 and suzuki CCI. Both are cheap.

However I use Motorex in my 250exc.

Edited by Footy

if it were me, I'd splurge and stay with the stuff you know works. How quickly do you burn through 5 gallons????

2+ gallons each day trip. 5-7 gallons on each weekend trip. Of course the weekend trips don't happen as frequently as they use to...(enter wife and kids).

Yeah I am hesitant to try another mix as everything seems setup just right (besides a little splooge...I ride mostly tight single track and love to lug that 3-hunny a gear high).

Figured if some cheaper oil didn't run right I could always switch back without too much difficulty, perhaps a new plug (haven't changed it in almost 2 years anyway).

Can anyone answer the question, should a cheaper pre-mix be mixed at the same ratio as my Golden Spectro (53:1) to maintain my current jetting and riding style?

2+ gallons each day trip. 5-7 gallons on each weekend trip. Of course the weekend trips don't happen as frequently as they use to...(enter wife and kids).

Yeah I am hesitant to try another mix as everything seems setup just right (besides a little splooge...I ride mostly tight single track and love to lug that 3-hunny a gear high).

Figured if some cheaper oil didn't run right I could always switch back without too much difficulty, perhaps a new plug (haven't changed it in almost 2 years anyway).

Can anyone answer the question, should a cheaper pre-mix be mixed at the same ratio as my Golden Spectro (53:1) to maintain my current jetting and riding style?

Well..I hesitate to get into these oil conversations because so much dialogue is based on perception and seat-of-the-pants impression than on real science...but, I'm a glutton for punishment (yes girls...that's another forum...:lol:) so let me make an observation.

Golden Spectro is a blended oil...petroleum and synthetic...it's a good pre-mix lube. I've seen it advertised for $29.99 for 64oz. and $6.49 for 12oz.

Why not run a full synthetic ester is your prized 300? I have an '08 300 XC-W and mix Motul 710 at about 55:1. She runs clean, smells sweet, and I have the warm fuzzy about running a pure synthetic ester.

Best of all...it's not really much more (if any) than running Golden Spectro. Motul 710 can be had all over the place for $12.99 for 1 liter. A liter equals 33.81oz. That works out to about 2.6oz. per $1. Golden Spectro (if purchased in the 64oz. size) works out to be about 2.1oz. per $1.

What price do you place on piece of mind?:thumbsup:

No folks...don't git yer panties all knotted...this is just my two pennies worth of shared thought.

To the OP...have fun riding your 3-hundo!:ride: I guess, when it comes to your dirt biking enjoyment...cheaper is not always better IMHO.

-Jay

Well..I hesitate to get into these oil conversations because so much dialogue is based on perception and seat-of-the-pants impression than on real science...but, I'm a glutton for punishment (yes girls...that's another forum...:lol:) so let me make an observation.

Golden Spectro is a blended oil...petroleum and synthetic...it's a good pre-mix lube. I've seen it advertised for $29.99 for 64oz. and $6.49 for 12oz.

Why not run a full synthetic ester is your prized 300? I have an '08 300 XC-W and mix Motul 710 at about 55:1. She runs clean, smells sweet, and I have the warm fuzzy about running a pure synthetic ester.

Best of all...it's not really much more (if any) than running Golden Spectro. Motul 710 can be had all over the place for $12.99 for 1 liter. A liter equals 33.81oz. That works out to about 2.6oz. per $1. Golden Spectro (if purchased in the 64oz. size) works out to be about 2.1oz. per $1.

What price do you place on piece of mind?:thumbsup:

No folks...don't git yer panties all knotted...this is just my two pennies worth of shared thought.

To the OP...have fun riding your 3-hundo!:ride: I guess, when it comes to your dirt biking enjoyment...cheaper is not always better IMHO.

-Jay

I buy the motul 710 in a 4 ltr bottle, lasting me almost a whole year, riding at least every other weekend. Do the math, I used to use Golden, but it seemed more expensive when I did the math. The 4 ltr makes it easy and only a once a year purchase, maybe twice depending.

My 07 seems to like yama-lube...spooges the least and burns clean I run 44:1

I havent really dont the cost comparison, but I like and trust Super M by Maxima, I pick up the 64oz for $20

There is very little difference in Spectro and 2-r . They're both blended, good oil that will serve you well for what you are doing, and there shouldn't be any jetting changes needed between the two.If you can get the 2-r cheaper go for it.I used it for years with good results.

I no people that have used that for years, and swore by the cost savings and such. In fact I had some work done a year or so ago, and the guy who sold the golden spectro stated how clean my head looked. I use Castrol 2t with ester. Now the guys only uses that... Tells you something...

E-Rider: I follow a good riding buddy's suggestion when he reminds me about having a $7,000 bike & then not doing "cheap" things to it & this includes Pre-mix.

Just like the food we put in our bodies, I don't like "cheap" pre-mix or tranny oils. Treat your '99 like a '10; feed it right & don't necessarily look for the cheapest route no matter how much you ride it. In fact, the more you ride, the better you should treat your bike with maintenance & your fluids. I don't skimp on the fluids or change frequency & my bikes/tranny's last forever.

Btw, I use Silkolene full synthetic @ 40:1 & change my tranny fluid after EVERY ride. I'm using Maxima now but will switch to Motorex when my Maxima stash is gone.

Bob in AZ

Just my 2 cents added to the mix.

I bought the bike used from a fella that had been on the Golden Spectro band wagon. It spooged everywhere and on everything.

When doing a top end, cleaned the powervalve and it was ALL GUMED UP!

Switched to Motul 800 for 2 years. It burned clean and smelled great.

I ran outta fuel a number of times on the trail. Begged mix from all kinds of people. Race fanatics to trailer trash that emptied out the weed whacker. I couldn't tell. The bike ran the same with everything.

So, all she gets now is Wal-Mart brand. Sure it don't smell as nice but hey.............. I'm never behind me anyway!

Thanks for all the info guys. I am too cheap to pay $7-8k even for a newer 300...I paid $1700 for my freshly valved 300 and she hasn't let me down for almost 2 years now (knock on wood). So not too worried about not running premium pre-mix.

I think I will try some other mix, possibly 2-R, and see if the spooging is reduced and whether she runs similar.

Superslyko- What brand of mix do you buy at Walmart...Walmart brand?

• Like 1

Amsoil interceptor full synthetic, low flash point pre mix.

9.50 a quart at a mix of 44:1 that would be about $1 per gallon...

I use Yamalube R and have never had a problem. MXA mentioned in one of their magazines that it's all they use when it comes to their 2 strokes so it's gotta be decent.