Sign in to follow this  

My bike is bogging

I have a 2006 YZ250F that idles, and revs fine when I ease on the gas, but bogs when I give it a quick shot of gas. When i'm landing one jump and give it a big shot of gas to clear the next jump, it completely bogs out. It doesn't stall, just bogs. Anyone know what the problem is? My best guess is that I have to clean the carb, but I know very little about the mechanics of my bike.

Edit - My quick fix was to raise the idle, which works, but the idle has to be very high for the bogging problem to stop

Edit #2 - The choke is off, and the gas is on. I am still able to race the bike, but again, my idle has to be raised considerably high for the problem to stop

Sounds like your accellerator pump is no longer/or never worked properly. Pull it apart and check the diaphram to see if it's still in one piece and not dried/cracked. It's a good idea to clean the carb fully at this point.

Did it just start this?

Sounds like your accellerator pump is no longer/or never worked properly. Pull it apart and check the diaphram to see if it's still in one piece and not dried/cracked. It's a good idea to clean the carb fully at this point.

Did it just start this?

Thank you for your reply. It didn't always bog - it started last season, but I didn't have the time to sit down and figure out what was going on with it. So basically my best bet is to take apart the carb, inspect, and clean it?

are you running 87 octane gas?

that could be a problem.

i run at least 92 in my bike. anything less makes it bog bad. but with 92, no hesitation

I have an '06 with the exact same problem. I run 93 and ran 110 a few times. The 110 didn't help it. I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's always been that way.

I had the same problem and it ended up that one of the passages of the accelerator pump was clogged. Remove your sub-frame and quickly twist the throttle while looking in the air box side of the carb. You should see fuel squirting into the carb. Do a search for "accelerator pump" and you will find some good info. The video in the link below gives you a good idea of what it should look like.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483911&highlight=ap

CAMM