Sign in to follow this  

what tire lasts longest

We need to start some kind of a poll to get an opinon on what is the longest lasting knobby tire, I don't care about performance I just want something for trails and desert that will go more than a lousy 500 miles. I can go out in my suv and spin the tires in rocks and dirt all day long and still get 30,000 miles out of them. I really have to beleive that they can make knobbies that would go for thousands of miles but then that would kill their business of making us buy two or three sets every year. Lets hear it, the best I ever got was Michelin MH3 rear that I got 800 miles on.

cheng shin is the best, i have had these tires for a year and have probebly got about 300 miles on them, two thirds of which have been on the road (which wears it down faster) and still have half my tread! get them

"what tire lasts longest" honestly the ones that never leave the garage. Lots to consider, terrain, heat, riding style, rubber, and so on. However open bikes eat tires so only ride vary small bikes.... ya know like 60's 70's and 80's.... not much fun but the tires last for years...

Michelin Starcross MS3: front two seasons, rear one season. (about 30 hours for a season)

maxxis it by far the compund is a lot harder than other but you wont get as good of traction on the rocks

I ride a mix of terrain that covers everything - mud, sand, rocks, roots, gravel, loam, hardpack, you name it I ride it (all in the same day). Rocky hardpacked power line roads have been destroying my rear tires, so I too am on a quest to find the longest lasting tire. Here's what I found so far:

The Maxxis IT rear on my KX250 was holding up very well, but I sold the bike so I can't say for sure how long it will last. The Desert IT supposedly wears like iron.

Dunlop D952 is OK, but not as long lasting as some people make it out to be. I won't be using one again.

Michelin S12 was trashed in one ride, great traction when it lasts, and maybe it would last longer in soft terrain, but on the rocky power line roads it was toast.

I'm using a Michelin MH3 and so far its been holding up very well to all sorts of abuse. It also provides excellent traction everywhere. So far this is my favorite tire.

A friend has a MS3 on his 450 and rides the same terrain I do, and is just as hard on the throttle as I am, and it looks like it may be even better than the MH3. We put them on around the same time and ride the same terrain, and the MS3 looks to be showing less wear. We'll see what happens in a month or two when there's more time on them.

My YZ250 has a Pirelli MT16 rear and that is wearing like iron. The only problem is that the traction isn't nearly as good as the Michelin.

Once my Michelin MH3 wears out, I'm going to try a Dunlop MX51 next as I've heard many good things about it.

Shinko Holeshot 523 i have over 1,600 miles on the one i just replaced , i ride everything from sand to lava rock , and this tire has outlasted ANYTHING i have ever used and is only $65.00 , it still has life in it , but i was ending my 3rd year on it and i already had a new one so i went ahead and changed it to start off the season fresh , i put it on my bike when my bike had 500 miles on it , my bike now has 2027 miles , and i only have 2 rides total of about 75 miles on the new one , all the rest were on the one i just took off , the tire i took off i would say still has at least 3-500 miles left in it , i realistically could have ran it the rest of the year with no issues

Surprised only one person mentioned it but a Trials tire. They will outlast 2-3 knobbies for me in the Oregon woods and high desert. They might look worn but they still hook up, amazing stuff.

DK

Cheng shin all the way

Are they still in biz? I used them on my TT500 years ago...held up to the torture of my making ruts :thumbsup:

Ive never heard of a Shinko, Sounds good. there seems to be an agreement on the michelin MH3 & MS3. Dunlops? never. Every Dunlop I've ever tried was gone in about two rides, finally gave up on them. Rocky Mountain sells Cheng Shin tires for about 25 bucks I didn't know they lasted so long. Keep it coming boys its be interesting.

i do not buy any expensive tires..i almost always buy the cheng shins due to them being very cheap..i like cheng shin and they work fine for my riding style...me next purchase is a set of kings tires (same as shinko) as kings has some strong reviews...for me its all cheap chi-com stuff.....paying $100 for a name brand that you might get and extra months worth out of is stupid..save the money and buy chi com which is so close any more to name brands it makes the decision even easier

The trials tires are some of the longest lasting ones on the market. a bunch are under $75, but you need a 18 inch rim...

I just bought a Cheng Shin C755 for $40 and it has the biggest knobs I've seen. I've had a Maxxis Maxxcross and a Dunlop 952 as well. The 952 was horrible and the Maxxis chunked out real quick. I can't wait for the snow to melt for me to try out the Cheng Shin.

i do not buy any expensive tires..i almost always buy the cheng shins due to them being very cheap..i like cheng shin and they work fine for my riding style...me next purchase is a set of kings tires (same as shinko) as kings has some strong reviews...for me its all cheap chi-com stuff.....paying $100 for a name brand that you might get and extra months worth out of is stupid..save the money and buy chi com which is so close any more to name brands it makes the decision even easier

Shinko is not the same as Kings , Shinko bought out Yokohama dirt division , they are basically Yokohama's , King's are pretty cheap , Shinko is high quality !

they are all i will run , i have the 520 on my 450R for the sand track i ride on , and the 523 for all my trail riding on my 450X

I tried every other brand(worked at a bike shop) and they have lasted the longest and gave me the best overall traction !