Sign in to follow this  

450r suspension on 450x will it fit?

hey guys im looking at buying a ohlins fork and shock off a 2007 crf450r for my x, it has rg3 triples that come with. can anyone answer if i can bolt the triples and shock straight up or is there differences i dont know about? any help would be great

I took my Scotts Top Clamp with sub mount Stabilizer off my R and bolted it right up on my X. Headlight mount and odometer mount were my only issues. Odometer is just dead weight if you ask me. As for the headlight mount I made a 1 1/2 (or so) tab with two holes for the mounting. One for the headlight and one that bolts into the bottom bolt on the top clamp. Works great. The forks should fit too, I do believe the X forks are a tad longer if I remember correctly, and the internals are different. The R has a top spring in it (preload I think), and the X is a single cartridge with no top spring in it. Also Bob Bell from Precision Concepts told me that the forks and shock are designed to work in conjunction withe the flex of the X frame. If anyone wants to correct me go ahead. I'm just trying to remember if my memory seres me correctly.

well thanks for the fittment info but here is my dilemma, if im purchasing the ohlins fork and shock(ti spring) set up for 200lb rider and valved for intermidate mx rider, and i ride mostly fast single track and hills would it be better for me to get the stock suspenision revalved for woods or will the ohlins be a better choice? i know what everyone would say but if you were going to pay 300 bucks more than a re-valve and get ohlins and rg3 triples would they still feel ok in the bush?

............would it be better for me to get the stock suspenision revalved for woods or will the ohlins be a better choice? i know what everyone would say but if you were going to pay 300 bucks more than a re-valve and get ohlins and rg3 triples would they still feel ok in the bush?

It's always best to get the stockers valved per YOUR weight, and riding style over "brand named and billet" components, not for you or not even for your bike.

Step back, and let the hype of it all settle. I'm sure you know what would be the "best bang for the buck", being a name branded triple is not much better than stock (and nothing better in performance - unless your changing rake angles).

If your rich, and love bling (I have one of those problems, and the hint is... I'm not rich), well the billet triples and Ohlins suspenders is a must!

... I know it's an easy decision for me, as I went BRP lower, VH-1 upper w/GPR mount, and Precision Concepts suspenders (I'm about in the middle of bling and practical) :thumbsup:.

thanks alot man for that response, your right about the revalve for my bikes stock suspension so im going to go with that. you said it though about the bling half the time i dont need it and i buy it anyway just for the fact i know its aftermarket. you can really get carried away so easy these days because all of the fancy billet parts and performance add ons are just a click away with ebay and when your stuck inside most of the winter(most meaning we still get out on the trelleborgs 10 or 12 times a year)its even harder to resist. anyway ill go with the re-valving and thanks for the advice.