Sign in to follow this  

Spring / seal / oil replacement yes no

So I replaced my springs in my showa forks and it feels so much better now. I also replaced the fork seals at the same time and fresh oil in both chambers just because it was apart and I wanted it ready for the upcoming season.

I and some friends are heading to Moab, Utah on the 13th to do some riding and a friend wants me to help him replace his springs now before we go. Thing is he does not want to change the fork seals and only the bottom chamber oil because I have to drain that to get the springs out.

Personally I think it is a bad idea not do it all new while off the bike but it is his bike and he is supplying the beer.

Now the question I have, can you just change the lower oil and not the top only? I thought that was a taboo thing to do? Damping can change because of the different brands I have heard.

So everyone knows, I am not even sure what brand oil is in the forks and is it a problem if they are different? Bike is a 2008 CRF 450

What is everyone thoughts….

Edited by Bkew
Added bike type

So I replaced my springs in my showa forks and it feels so much better now. I also replaced the fork seals at the same time and fresh oil in both chambers just because it was apart and I wanted it ready for the upcoming season.

I and some friends are heading to Moab, Utah on the 13th to do some riding and a friend wants me to help him replace his springs now before we go. Thing is he does not want to change the fork seals and only the bottom chamber oil because I have to drain that to get the springs out.

Personally I think it is a bad idea not do it all new while off the bike but it is his bike and he is supplying the beer.

Now the question I have, can you just change the lower oil and not the top only? I thought that was a taboo thing to do? Damping can change because of the different brands I have heard.

So everyone knows, I am not even sure what brand oil is in the forks and is it a problem if they are different? Bike is a 2008 CRF 450

What is everyone thoughts….

Yes it is fine to do just one on that fork. The two oils don't mix and the outer oil gets dirty faster anyway.:thumbsup:

Well, the oils DO mix.....

I would advise changing out all the oil. But if your friend insists on not doing it, just use some quality 5wt oil and you'll be fine.

Well, the oils DO mix.....

I would advise changing out all the oil. But if your friend insists on not doing it, just use some quality 5wt oil and you'll be fine.

Can you tell me how a the oils mix in a Showa twin chamber fork. The cartridge is a sealed unit (or should be).:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: This not helping me..... JK

Honestly I told him today, if we are going to spend the time to do it, we will change the oil in both chambers. The seals are his call, but I mentioned if they blow out it is NOT MY FAULT...