Sign in to follow this  

Slow down dammit! (RM 80 question)

.....was all I heard as I flew through our condos drive isle on my nephews new (to us) RM 80. The bike rips and to be honest, he's not quite ready for the power. He's coming off an XR 70 and can't quite throw a leg over the RM yet. Its too fast and too tall.

Is there any way to tone it down until he can use it to its full potential? Restrictor plate maybe? Any help is appreciated, and yes, I already told his grandpa that a 65 would have been just fine! :thumbsup:

Thanx guys, he can't wait to ride it! Another Suzuki in the stable~

I had the same feeling when my dad bought me my first real dirt bike, at 12 years old he brought home a brand '78 RM125 ~ the first ride had me thinking that he was trying to kill me!

A way to calm down the "snap" or two stroke hit would be to increase the powervalve pre-load spring tension. So if the manual calls for one full turn clockwise, maybe try 1½ turns. This will delay the opening of the power valve and give a new-be rider a chance to ride it without it hitting the meat of the powerband.

And this may sound wrong, but trust me, you can also slow down the hit by gearing for more speed (a one tooth larger front sprocket or a three tooth smaller rear). This has the same effect as starting out in a gear higher (but not quite), and again this will slow down the hit.

A new silencer with a spark arrestor will slightly reduce the power but it will cut the noise and that should help make some peace with your neighbors.

Excellent suggestions my friend! My first two stroke scared the CRAP out of me too! 92 RM 125. Thanx for the tips. Guess I should take the six spark arrestors off that I have couppled together. Looks kinda funny!

get a throttle stop like they use in the 50's, and when he gets better take it off,t he silencer spark arrestor wont do anything to power just sound..

When my son was 9 I wish I had thrown him on a 65 or 85 since he was coming off a pw50. In his case the 65 or 85 was better since he ended up running with them anyway on a 110! It eventually got ugly. wrong bike for the wrong job nearly cost me my son.

There's 2 sides to look at it.

I'm glad your boy is doing good and ok today Mihylo! My first thought was to get him on a Kawi 110 too tho, because it fit him perfectly and I would have been able to add the clutch later. The 80 just towers over the 110, and its gunna be interesting to say the least!

not sure if theese bikes have them but cant you change the power valve spring to even out the power delivery,wont necesarily make it slower just easier to ride without the sudden acceleration

Try a washer with a 5/8" hole between the pipe and the exhaust port. Did it on an RM 65 and it worked great. Not only did it tone it down, but it totally changed the power band. gave it more down down low.

.....was all I heard as I flew through our condos drive isle on my nephews new (to us) RM 80. The bike rips and to be honest, he's not quite ready for the power. He's coming off an XR 70 and can't quite throw a leg over the RM yet. Its too fast and too tall.

Is there any way to tone it down until he can use it to its full potential? Restrictor plate maybe? Any help is appreciated, and yes, I already told his grandpa that a 65 would have been just fine! :lol:

Thanx guys, he can't wait to ride it! Another Suzuki in the stable~

I made 6 disks that step down 0.100” ID at a time and it works grate and as he gets better I switch it with a larger disk and don’t tell him.:thumbsup:

Before he started riding the 65 I put the smallest disk in right of the bat so he would not be scared of it. With the smallest disk it had a little more power then the JR80 and he loved the 65 from the start.

With the 65 moving up 0.100" ID at a time each step is not that bad but it gets more pipe at each step up.:ride:

my sons are 7 and 10

What are the dimensions of the discs. Are they available commercially? I just bought an RM 80 for my 9yo son, also moving up for an XR70. I'm a little concerned about the power.

You could cut a piece of 3/8 fuel line and put in the carb slide. Run the cable thrue it and back into the slide. As he gets better, you could trim it a little at a time untill he is ready for full power. This way your not restricting the motor in anyway, its just not getting full pull from the cable.

I had the same feeling when my dad bought me my first real dirt bike, at 12 years old he brought home a brand '78 RM125 ~ the first ride had me thinking that he was trying to kill me!

A way to calm down the "snap" or two stroke hit would be to increase the powervalve pre-load spring tension. So if the manual calls for one full turn clockwise, maybe try 1½ turns. This will delay the opening of the power valve and give a new-be rider a chance to ride it without it hitting the meat of the powerband.

And this may sound wrong, but trust me, you can also slow down the hit by gearing for more speed (a one tooth larger front sprocket or a three tooth smaller rear). This has the same effect as starting out in a gear higher (but not quite), and again this will slow down the hit.

A new silencer with a spark arrestor will slightly reduce the power but it will cut the noise and that should help make some peace with your neighbors.

I wished My dad bought Me a 78 RM, but, I bought one Myself,, one of the best bikes I ever had,,but, I wasn't that young, and wild,, that could be dangerous,, if not toned-down......good advice.......Dr.D..