Sign in to follow this  

Throttle like an ON/OFF switch.

Hey there, I have a 2008 Suzuki DRZ250 and am having some smoothness issues with the throttle. When shutting the throttle down, as you get close to shutdown, the revs drop to idle very quickly and when you accelerate again, there is resistance in the throttle movement and then the revs jump up quickly, like I said, like an on/off switch at the bottom of your throttle movement. The rest of the response from bottom , through middle to top is butifull. I have an aftermarket exhaust on it, air box mods, new air filter, jetting as well as exhaust port and header welds cleaned up, and they all work well together. This problem existed before I had made any of these changes. I have owned the bike since new. It would almost seem like there is a suction problem acting on the slide in the Mikuni or something not allowing me to move the throttle smoothly. Any Clues Anyone????

What, so nobody has ever experienced this problem or other people have but they don't know the solution either ???????

First, I'd make sure the cable is routed properly, not bent or binding somewhere.

Some carb throttle cams have an inner and outer hole for the cable end to connect to. Make sure it's in the outer hole(closer to the outside edge of the cam).

Alot of the newer bikes have an on/off throttle anyway that's normal. I don't like that.

Thanks for a response Trailryder42. Yeah I have checked for binding and the like. To be honest I expected the answer to be "tough luck, thats the way it is designed just like a number of other bikes" It's just that it is extra annoying now that I have some more grunt. Whilst you don't notice it when you are in the bush, you certainly do notice it when you duck down the shop in slow traffic.