Sign in to follow this  

First ride with my new GPR V4 stabilizer.

I was finally able to test out my new GPR. Its excellent.:ride: It allows you to attack rocks with much more confidence. Today I rode across some rocky river beds that are usually alot harder to ride. The bike will bounce around under you, but with the stabilizer your front wheel will always point forward, and the forward momentum you have will keep you upright. Before, I would have to fight the bars to keep it going strait, and it would nearly tank slap depending on the rocks. I found myself riding alot faster today in sections I would have to normally slow down and drop my feet.:thumbsup:

Only bad things are the price, and maybe getting pinch flats from hitting rocks too fast. Before I would slow down when I would start to feel the front wheel deflect, now I just keep going. Also, I fear it might start to give me too much confidence and when I do fall in the future, it will be much harder. I definitely recommend getting one to anyone riding trails. :lol:

I put the same one on my 200XCW and agree with you. For the sandy washes here in NW AZ the control is so much better. And for the sections of trail with lots of loose and planted rocks, the stability it gives really helps to eliminate unwanted soil samples. A lot of guys say spend your money on suspension first, but I say spend time dialing in the suspension you have (assuming your spring rates are correct) versus paying someone to do it for you, as you might find it's better than you think. Then get the stabilizer with the money you save. Unlike the money spent on suspension work, the stabilizer can go from bike to bike. Sort of like the gift that keeps on giving:thumbsup:

I put the same one on my 200XCW and agree with you. For the sandy washes here in NW AZ the control is so much better. And for the sections of trail with lots of loose and planted rocks, the stability it gives really helps to eliminate unwanted soil samples. A lot of guys say spend your money on suspension first, but I say spend time dialing in the suspension you have (assuming your spring rates are correct) versus paying someone to do it for you, as you might find it's better than you think. Then get the stabilizer with the money you save. Unlike the money spent on suspension work, the stabilizer can go from bike to bike. Sort of like the gift that keeps on giving:thumbsup:

Well even if your spring rates are correct, that doesn't mean the valving is correct

for your riding conditions and ability. I would never, ever spend money on a

damper without having my suspension set up by a professional first. Just my $.02

I had my suspension re-valve done first and noticed I was much faster. Less deflecting off trail trash and didn't beat me up nearly as bad. I have noticed that my GPR dosn't do much for me in the low speed technical stuff but helps more in the high speed loose stuff - gets rid of any front end nervousness and I feel more stable at speed. For me the re-valve cured more issues and cost less then the GPR. Not saying the GPR isn't worth the money but I don't think getting it before suspension work is the right thing on a MX bike used for off road riding.

I had my suspension re-valve done first and noticed I was much faster. Less deflecting off trail trash and didn't beat me up nearly as bad. I have noticed that my GPR dosn't do much for me in the low speed technical stuff but helps more in the high speed loose stuff - gets rid of any front end nervousness and I feel more stable at speed. For me the re-valve cured more issues and cost less then the GPR. Not saying the GPR isn't worth the money but I don't think getting it before suspension work is the right thing on a MX bike used for off road riding.

couldnt have said it better:thumbsup: i have yz conversions and i find that is the best formula susp.first then damper=speed and confidence:banana:

What place do you guys recommend? Is there any shops that do good work in the LA area?