Sign in to follow this  

Tire tube question

Where does this washer go?

Tubes always come with a washer and a nut or two. I've mounted tires 6 or 8 times now and I always put this washer on the outside. Is this wrong?

20100301043.jpg

Where does this washer go?

Tubes always come with a washer and a nut or two. I've mounted tires 6 or 8 times now and I always put this washer on the outside. Is this wrong?

20100301043.jpg

I`ve always put them on the inside,,,My OE front was inside too...

Did you get my last PM Rob????????

Brian

Washer inside and nut outside eh?

Yes, I got the PM. I need to figure what postage will be for you. Expect an answer tomorrow (Tues).

Washer inside and nut outside eh?

Yes, I got the PM. I need to figure what postage will be for you. Expect an answer tomorrow (Tues).

No rush,,,i think the washer keeps the stem from pullin through,,,but maybe someone else will say different,,,i just went with what was done before...and it may not necessarily be correct..

B

Putting the nut on the outside increases the chances of ripping the stem if the tube slips, nothing on the outside.

Well, if that washer goes on the inside, it would be a lot easier if it was glued in place so you don't have to fight with it when you mount the tire.

I`ve heard of some people leaving the nut off,,or double nutting it up top leavin a space below them and the rim so if the tube moves it won`t tearoff the valve stem...i think if you have rim locks the chances are probably nil..

Brian

I use the nut as a locknut for the valve cap.

Lets the tube move a bit, nut keeps the stem from popping inside.

Dave

That looks like a lock washer? I never have used one of those on the valve stem.

Now I have heard the line that Agent2 says, but I have not usually done it that way. I just lightly tighten the thin nut against the rim. Might not be the best, but it has been working for me. I've never had a tire slip more than a tiny bit on a rim. However, I do use a rimlock. If you do not run a rim lock don't tighten the nut against the rim.

Now I do use the lockwasher on the rimlock.

I use the nut as a locknut for the valve cap.

Lets the tube move a bit, nut keeps the stem from popping inside.

Dave

Me too

I've just fitted a new rear tyre and one of the Michelin Extra Heavy Duty 4mm tubes and put a washer on the inside and 2 nuts on the outside. Didn't use tyre soap on anything like on the bead, just some window cleaner which provides lube just long enough to fit the tyre before it evaporates. IMO using any sort of tyre soap on the bead, even with a rim lock virtually guarantees the rim to rotate in the tyre when your running low pressures.