Sign in to follow this  

Ttr 125 starter problems

Hello! I bought an 05 ttr 125 for $600 bucks and got it running good. The orignal owner was a problem child and drilled out the headers and destroyed the bike, but i saw a little potential and i got it going good again. Now the electric starter has gone bad and the problem child stripped out the spline shaft and broke the kickstarter. I bought an electric starter on ebay thinking it would fix it right, but it seems to not engauge but every 5 or 6 seconds it just kicks the motor over so i have the battery on charge but this is exactly how my old starter behaved. When i had it running over christmas it remained engauged after starting so i assumed bad hold in windings in the starter and that it was also week and slow in turning the motor.I bought a new kickstarter for 60 bucks, but i am hesitant to hammer the kickstarter on the stripped shaft. Would you guys go as far as to do an aluminum can shim over the shaft and hammer her on and tighten the nut? I see the gear itself is cheap only 20-30 bucks on ebay, but do i have to split the case or is it just the side cover that needs to be removed?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.-JOHN

Does the engnine rotate smoothly otherwise? Put a 17mm on the flywheel and rotate the engine.

You might want to check the engagement on the flywheel side to verify that the starter clutch is working 100%. Pop the flywheel and look at the action of the clutch and the gear. If all looks well, I'd pull the clutch basket on the clutch side and see if the kick idler is loose. One of the known issues is with the kick idler shaft, which is also part of the transmission output shaft. This seems to only happen with modded engines, but worth a look.

If all is good, then I'd look for a good kick shaft, and not go the route of modding the shaft.

-Kerry

I think your telling me that i should drain the oil and take the case off the side case of the motor to inspect the flywheel but i am not sure. I tryed it again today after charging the battery it seems it still cranks very fast like the starter teeth are spinning and not engauging. The teeth of the flywheel look fine. The motor does crank over with the new starter but it only catches every now and then and doesnt start the bike. Do i have to disassemble the transmission to get to the kickstart gear shaft or is it just a matter of taking the brake pedal and side cover off. I dont feel like disassembling the whole engine just to replace the shaft.

Thanks

I think your telling me that i should drain the oil and take the case off the side case of the motor to inspect the flywheel but i am not sure.
The safe way is to drain the oil. Behind that flywheel is the starter clutch. (three socket head screws in the flywheel)
I tryed it again today after charging the battery it seems it still cranks very fast like the starter teeth are spinning and not engauging. The teeth of the flywheel look fine. The motor does crank over with the new starter but it only catches every now and then and doesnt start the bike.
That sounds like a bad starter clutch, the clutch is what grabs the flwheel gear and then, via the 3 bolts, rotates the flywheel to start the bike when you press the magic button. The teeth on the flywheel could be perfect, but you won't see the starter clutch unless you break it free from the flywheel. The business side of it is hidden behind the flywheel.

The clutch is a design the uses roller bearings with flat surfaces to lock into the flywheel gear when the gear train from the starter is moved by the starter. The rollers are held in with a spring band. If the band is bad, or the rollers become worn, the clutch quits engaging and the starter will not actually turn the crank. Occasionally the clutch might crab depending on what bits of metal are floating around or if there is a wear mark on the flywheel gear. You should pull the flywheel and check that clutch out...

Do i have to disassemble the transmission to get to the kickstart gear shaft or is it just a matter of taking the brake pedal and side cover off. I dont feel like disassembling the whole engine just to replace the shaft.

Thanks

Lower your brake, remove the starter off the front of the engine (the two bolts need to come out then the whole starter comes out), then remove the clutch side cover.

No case splitting is required. The kick shaft has a spring, a plastic sleeve, and a clip that aligns the kicker when you install it, You can reuse those items when you get a better shaft. One end of the spring goes in a hole in the shaft. Then, tightening the spring, you put the other end in the hole on the case.

Hope this makes sense.

-Kerry

After further inspection, i found that the gear inbetween the starter and the crankshaft/magneto has 1/8 to 1/4 play in it and is slipping. The clip may be damaged that holds it in place i don't know. I plan to buy a new kicker spline shaft and just use the kickstarter.

Thanks