Sign in to follow this  

4.3 gal clarke tank causing leal?

i just installed a clarke 4.3 gallon tank on my 650r and its leaking from the over flow line off the stock carb. the tank is sound. bolted right in. i put 1 gallon in it, no leaks. turned on the petcock, no leaks. went in to grab my helmet, leaks. the only time i ever turn off the petcock is to remove the tank to get to something. even if i dont ride for a couple weeks, its always on. never had this prob with the stock tank. rode the bike up until about a week ago till i parked it to put the new tank on. i need help! float maybe?

i just installed a clarke 4.3 gallon tank on my 650r and its leaking from the over flow line off the stock carb. the tank is sound. bolted right in. i put 1 gallon in it, no leaks. turned on the petcock, no leaks. went in to grab my helmet, leaks. the only time i ever turn off the petcock is to remove the tank to get to something. even if i dont ride for a couple weeks, its always on. never had this prob with the stock tank. rode the bike up until about a week ago till i parked it to put the new tank on. i need help! float maybe?

Piece of crud under the needle,,put a suitable container under the carb drain hose...crack the drain screw open on the bottom of the carb bowl...and if you can get in there wack the bowl with a screwdriver handle or stick...what you are trying to do here is dislodge whatever is stuck to the float valve needle seal,,which is rubber...

Tighten the screw back up after that and see if it helps..

If it doesn`t you need to pull the carb anmd pull the bowl,,clean the needle well with carb cleaner and reinstall....

You shoulda flushed that new tank out..did ya????????? if not manufacturing crap is likely floatin arround in it...

B

thanks for the info brian. yah, i flushed the hell out of it. all kinds of plastic came out. then i shot it with compressed air for awhile. ill try what you said.

If it keeps it up, maybe an inline filter will help until the last remaining bits of plastic work their way out of the tank.

I bought an XL600 last year and installed a 4.2 Clarke on it and had the same issue. My problem turned out to be a misadjusted float that was not pressing the needle up into the seat enough to seal under that much head pressure. Alittle tweak on the tang and all is well again.

Most likely there is a piece of plastic from inside the tank that flowed down with the gas and is keeping the float needle from shutting off the fuel. Clarke suggests using a fuel filter and thorougly cleaning out a new tank before installation to prevent any small plastic pieces that are left inside during the manufacturing process.

Open your carb and spray some carb cleaner in all the little holes. Before putting the carb back together install a fuel filter to prevent this from happening again.

Most likely there is a piece of plastic from inside the tank that flowed down with the gas and is keeping the float needle from shutting off the fuel. Clarke suggests using a fuel filter and thorougly cleaning out a new tank before installation to prevent any small plastic pieces that are left inside during the manufacturing process.

Open your carb and spray some carb cleaner in all the little holes. Before putting the carb back together install a fuel filter to prevent this from happening again.

yup, i think you nailed it metricthump........

I've been able to flush out small pieces of crud with this simple method.

Close the petcock. Open the float bowl drain. When the fuel stops flowing open the petcock. The initial gush of fuel can dislodge small pieces of crud. Repeat a couple of times.

If that doesn't do it it is time to take things apart and do a more thorough cleaning.

the only time i ever turn off the petcock is to remove the tank to get to something. even if i dont ride for a couple weeks, its always on.

While it isn't likely to have caused the overflow problem, leaving the fuel on all the time generally isn't a good idea. It promotes gum buildup as fuel continually evaporates out of the bowl and in the event that the float sticks like yours did, could leave you with several gallons of gasoline on the floor.

thanks for all the info guys! i tried brianhare's trick. seemed to work. if it happens again ill rip the carb apart and clean it out. been awhile anyways. i was just surprised that it happened in the first place. i cleaned the thing out for probly an hour. then let it dry for a couple days. then shot it with compressed air.